• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

ExBPA/dsaccess oddity

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> ExBPA/dsaccess oddity Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
ExBPA/dsaccess oddity - 14.Oct.2010 3:37:15 AM   
davew_marwell

Hi

We are migrating off W2K/E2K via W2K3/E2K3 and onwards.... 8-)

Currently have 2 W2K DC's and 1 W2K3 DC's (all are DC and GC) - all functioning fine. One E2K3 server again functioning fine. Everything at latest patches/sp's.

However I now want to DCPROMO down the first W2K DC - checking what E2K3 is using in Directory Access I find that for the config its using the box I want to remove. Tried to get it to auto change off that box (wont do it) and tried setting manually to the W2K3 DC. THe problem is that when I run exbpa it reports that Active DIrectory is not available when I change it off the W2K DC.

The funny thing is that everything is working fine - no errors from Exchange in any event logs etc - its just this worrying message from exbpa ....

I upped logging on dsaccess/topology and switched the config dc manually and the evt log entry reported all 3 dc's with the same info for each one (CDG 7 7 1 0 1 1 7 1) - which i think is telling me everything is fine!

any ideas why exbpa is panicking?

thanks
dave
Post #: 1
RE: ExBPA/dsaccess oddity - 19.Nov.2010 8:44:12 AM   
craigt

quote:

Exchange will change domain controllers, and it will do it automatically, but not immediately. It can take 30 minutes or more before Exchange will look for a new domain controller to use. 

You have two options. 
1. After demoting the domain controller restart the Exchange server. That will force Exchange to go looking for another DC to use. 
2. Change the setting that allows Exchange to automatically find a domain controller to specify a DC and choose another one. Once the DC that you wish to remove has gone, change the setting back.

http://forums.msexchange.org/m_1800480281/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm#1800480281

(in reply to davew_marwell)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> ExBPA/dsaccess oddity Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter