• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Best way to disable mailboxes

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Management >> Best way to disable mailboxes Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Best way to disable mailboxes - 14.Oct.2010 11:24:39 AM   
vermilion

We've had a few users leave the company ever since we set up Exchange 2010, and I'd like to know how to best disable mailboxes. Here's my regular process:

• Firstly, I disable the AD account in AD Users and Computers.
• Secondly, I local-move the mailbox to an archival database (not a real archive, which requires Enterprise CAL's we don't have), which has Prohibit Send/Receive At set to 1 KB.
• Thirdly, I tell it to accept email only from selected senders, an empty list.
• Fourthly, I disable POP, IMAP, and ActiveSync (if they were enabled), leaving only MAPI and Web App access checked.
• Finally, I give the Terminated Employees Mailbox Access group Full Access permission to the mailbox. (We still need to read the messages; hence why I don't remove the box entirely.)

One major issue: messages sent get a bounce message saying that the mailbox is full. I'd prefer the "mailbox does not exist" message to be sent. It'd be less confusing for our external clients.

Another minor issue: The disabled account still uses a Standard CAL. (We once in a blue moon re-hire someone, and then that makes my life a little easier.)

I'd like some input. I'm fairly new to Exchange, and I'd like to hear how everyone else disables mailboxes. Maybe I can improve my process. Thanks in advance!
Post #: 1
RE: Best way to disable mailboxes - 14.Oct.2010 4:20:51 PM   
travis.sheldon

If you remove the associated email address from the "archived" user, then any external senders will get "recipient not found".

Unfortunately you cannot get around the CAL being used..It would probably be a lot easier to disable the AD user, then create a new AD user and attach the mailbox to the new user..this way the previous user has all Exchange attributes removed from their account..you can change the authentication name or the User Principal Name to match the previous name after you create the new user.

(in reply to vermilion)
Post #: 2
RE: Best way to disable mailboxes - 15.Oct.2010 11:13:36 AM   
steveiott06

Here is my process;
-disable the users AD account
-export email to .PST file and store on NAS
-forward email to another user account (if necessary)
-disable email account, stores in exchange disconnected mailbox for 1 month then its deleted.

(in reply to travis.sheldon)
Post #: 3
RE: Best way to disable mailboxes - 15.Oct.2010 5:21:34 PM   
vermilion

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'll have to try removing email addresses from disabled users. That sounds like exactly what I need.

I like to keep the mailboxes online but disabled, as my boss tends to fire people, starts to miss them, and winds up asking them to come back a few months later. (I blame the economy.) That way, we/they don't lose their messages, as well as their AD profile and documents.

Plus, it gives me more control over the messages; I'd rather have the messages stored centrally rather than emailing out .PST's anytime someone wanted to access a mailbox. (I'm cool with .OST's.) PST's are a great backup solution, seeing as how we only have one Exchange license and can't set up redundancy.

(in reply to steveiott06)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Management >> Best way to disable mailboxes Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter