• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

How to setup External mail flow

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Installation >> How to setup External mail flow Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to setup External mail flow - 15.Oct.2010 8:53:29 AM   
Cagster

Hi All

Is there anybody ot there who can tell me how to setup mail flow on Exchange 2010.

I have currently setup a new domain and exchange server and got internal mail flowing from my new address book, but now need to undestand how to setup external mail.

I am sure this is an easy thing but I am new to exchange and never done this before.

I understand I need to create an mx record?

If somebody out there is knind to help it would be a great help to me....

Many thanks...
Post #: 1
RE: How to setup External mail flow - 15.Oct.2010 9:18:12 AM   
de.blackman

Mail flow in a nutshell:

In order for someone to send you an email, you need to register a new SMTP domain on the internet DNS. Lets say your company will host emails for the simply.com domain (in other words, your users will have email addresses like user1@simply.com). First thing you will need to do is register an MX record for this domain. An MX record is used to locate the IP address of a mail server responsible for accepting mail for a certain domain. Once your MX record is registered, you will have the IP configured on your firewall. On your firewall you will configure it to port 25 to the Exchange hub transport server. On the Exchange server, you will need to configure a receive connector (this will be used to accept mail from the internet). There is a default receive connector configured by the Exchange installation. In order to send out emails to the internet, you will need a send connector. None exist by default so you have to manually create one.

Obviously, this is a summary but make sure you include antivirus and antispam applications in your mail routing topology. You may also want to consider external virus\spam filtering companies such as postini. All you mail will be directed to them on the internet where it will  be scanned. Once verified to be clean, the mail items will then be forwarded to you. Outbound can also be configured in the same route. Hope this helps!

Ibrahim Benna - Microsoft Exchange MVP
Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

(in reply to Cagster)
Post #: 2
RE: How to setup External mail flow - 15.Oct.2010 9:28:22 AM   
Cagster

many thanks for your help... I will give that a go...

(in reply to de.blackman)
Post #: 3
RE: How to setup External mail flow - 15.Oct.2010 9:43:36 AM   
Cagster

Something I forgot to ask...

I am trying this all out at home so I can learn more..
Is it possible to set this up using virgin media knowing i dont have a static IP address and using there little routers they give out.. I know that the routers can handle the port 25 forwarding...

Thanks again...

(in reply to Cagster)
Post #: 4
RE: How to setup External mail flow - 18.Oct.2010 3:26:44 PM   
de.blackman

I really don't think it is a good idea to use an ISP that does not provide static IP addresses because once the IP address changes you will not be able to route inbound mail anymore and you will have to manually change the MX record entries on your public DNS.

Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

(in reply to Cagster)
Post #: 5
RE: How to setup External mail flow - 18.Oct.2010 5:30:32 PM   
Jesper Bernle

quote:

ORIGINAL: de.blackman

I really don't think it is a good idea to use an ISP that does not provide static IP addresses because once the IP address changes you will not be able to route inbound mail anymore and you will have to manually change the MX record entries on your public DNS.

What I have at home to combat the same situation is:

1. I own my own domain (domain.com)
2. I let DynDNS.com host my external DNS Zone.
3. My Router at home have a built in function to automatically update my external zone at dyndns.com when my IP address changes.

Post #: 6
RE: How to setup External mail flow - 19.Oct.2010 9:07:42 AM   
de.blackman

Thats really interesting!! Jesper, what type of router do you have and how did you configure it to update your external DNS zone?

Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

(in reply to Jesper Bernle)
Post #: 7
RE: How to setup External mail flow - 19.Oct.2010 9:18:35 AM   
Jesper Bernle

I use Netgear WNDR3700 and it has a built in function for automatically updating my external DNS provider DynDNS. All you have to do is specify your DynDNS account settings in the software and voila, you're good to go.

Post #: 8

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Installation >> How to setup External mail flow Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter