• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Two Servers - best setup?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Installation >> Two Servers - best setup? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Two Servers - best setup? - 22.Oct.2010 10:33:14 AM   
tjcurley

Hi,

We've just recently purchased two ibm servers. We have purchased licenses for Server 2008R2 and Exchange 2010. These will be virtualised with VMWare ESX 4.

We want to have our own email and web hosting (new company).

My initial thought was to install the following virtual machines on one of the servers (all server 2008R2):
(1) Active Directory and DNS
(2) IIS Web Server
(3) Exchange 2010 Server
(4) File Server

I was then going to see could I replicate the whole setup on the second server and try to maintain the replication, so as to have a fully replicated system if it ever went down.
But with all the options for High Availability in Exchange and Server 2008R2, I'm not sure this is the right solution anymore.

Any advice or previous experience with a similar setup would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Thomas.
Post #: 1
RE: Two Servers - best setup? - 24.Oct.2010 4:41:31 PM   
Jesper Bernle

Well, basically all you need to know is that Windows Failover Cluster (think Database Availability Group (DAG)) cannot coexist on the same box as Network Load Balancing (think RPC CAS Array).

So, my reccomendation for a two server setup is to have multi-role servers with DAG and to use a hardware load balancer for the CAS Array.

(in reply to tjcurley)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Installation >> Two Servers - best setup? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter