• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

buying domain different than Exchange?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> buying domain different than Exchange? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
buying domain different than Exchange? - 30.Oct.2010 1:10:37 PM   
shoman

hello mates,

I have just joined this forum and kind a new in exchange so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have just joined a company and they are running exchange 2003 which is replica also of our single domain controller. ISA 2004 running on seperate machine.

my company is running Exchange 2003 with abc.com that is our website and we are using abc.com as our domain name as well. Now the company wants to move onto the new domain which represents our organization more appropriately like abc.edu.uk. From then they want to use this abc.edu.uk domain rather than abc.com to get all the emails for their users as we have 100 users approx. which have email addressess on our abc.com.

I want to do it smoothly with minimum downtime. but I don't know where to start as exchange 2003 is new for me. I'm confused what to do and from where to start as this job means lot to me and I'm just a week old in this company. kindly suggest what to do to accomplish this task :(
Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: buying domain different than Exchange? - 30.Oct.2010 1:22:58 PM   
mark@mvps.org

Functionally it couldn't be easier. Contact your ISP or whoever it is controls your DNS and have them replicate the A and MX records for the edu domain that exist for the .com domain. Please don't as for advice on that because there are too many variables. The ISP will walk you through what you or they need to do.

For exchange you simply open up Exchange management and then drill down to policies and the recipient policies. There will be a policy there. Edit it. Add the new domain and click the button to make the new domain the primary. Do not, repeat do not overwrite the existing domain. Apply those changes. Everyone will get the new address but also be able to receive mails sent to the old address.
You're done and down the pub!

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to shoman)
Post #: 2
RE: buying domain different than Exchange? - 30.Oct.2010 1:30:13 PM   
shoman

thanks for your quick reply, but I don't understand the thing "Funtionally it couldn't be easier" I definitely call the ISP to make all the necessary changes if that is not my part of job!!
but what about the change I'll do at the exchange 2003? are there too many changes to be done at the exchange server or not? as you have described the way, it seems easy to change my domain but what about the Domain Controller? do I need to make any changes on that too?

Please guide and bare me for my little to no knowledge at exchange end.
cheers

(in reply to mark@mvps.org)
Post #: 3
RE: buying domain different than Exchange? - 31.Oct.2010 2:04:58 AM   
Sikander_gyt

Hi,

First take care of the public dns records, new names should be mapped to your public ip.
Go to your Reciepent Policies under recipient folder then right click the default policy and add the new SMTP address and to @abc.edu.uk and set as primary this will be applied to all your 100 users [user@abc.edu.uk].

Thanks

(in reply to shoman)
Post #: 4
RE: buying domain different than Exchange? - 31.Oct.2010 2:10:11 AM   
Sikander_gyt

Hi,

Dont worry abt your domain controllers, let them work on with the same domain name i.e abc.com in your case.
Mind that the domain controllers always remain in your private network and not public, it is only your webserver and exchange which goes public to send and receive external emails so just make advise changes at public dns and recipient policies.

and yes this is a simple task if you apply yourself totally.

Thanks.

(in reply to Sikander_gyt)
Post #: 5
RE: buying domain different than Exchange? - 5.Nov.2010 6:48:37 AM   
shoman

hi,
thanks for your reply..OK I'll take care of public records with the help of the ISP..sorry about my knowledge confusion on this.

Ok but what should I do with the existing smtp address like my @abc.com?
would I need to remove it after configuring @abc.edu.uk and set it to default?

and correct me if I am wrong that all the users will then automatically receiving the mails from the new domain? right?

I just wanted to know and make sure that I will not suppose to remove my existing exchange 2003 and then install exchange 2003 on a new server with all the messed up configuration (replication and db...obviously setting up all new)

and then make it the @edu.co.uk?
I really dont want to do this.....because it will take 3 or 4 days I guess II'll do all these...

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sikander_gyt

Hi,

First take care of the public dns records, new names should be mapped to your public ip.
Go to your Reciepent Policies under recipient folder then right click the default policy and add the new SMTP address and to @abc.edu.uk and set as primary this will be applied to all your 100 users [user@abc.edu.uk].

Thanks

Post #: 6
RE: buying domain different than Exchange? - 5.Nov.2010 6:52:55 AM   
shoman

hey,
your comment is enough for making me relaxed but as the new domain discussion is still going in the management's room but I should be prepare in advance for the outcomes if this going to happen which is eventually going to happen sooner or later.

so me and the tech staff would be going if all setup will go good to all of our internal clients to make necessary changes to their MS outlook. right?

anything else that I need to worry about,

Thanks for your help sikander.
cheers

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sikander_gyt

Hi,

Dont worry abt your domain controllers, let them work on with the same domain name i.e abc.com in your case.
Mind that the domain controllers always remain in your private network and not public, it is only your webserver and exchange which goes public to send and receive external emails so just make advise changes at public dns and recipient policies.

and yes this is a simple task if you apply yourself totally.

Thanks.

Post #: 7
RE: buying domain different than Exchange? - 9.Dec.2010 3:21:07 AM   
shoman

hello again guys,
Hope all is doing well. I need you bug few of you again :)
In addition to the above, now the scenario is:

We can not access to our cpanel of old hosted domain abc.com which is currently running and our exchange server is configured to that one.
as you already read that we want to move abc.edu.uk, and I have got some really helpfull insight on this one as how to move there, but now we would like to use new live IP for our new domain abc.edu.uk that is hosting with different hosting provider.

I need to ask what is the downtime we would be facing while transfering as what my understanding is that we do not have a downtime because we already sending and receiving emails with our old domain from exchange server, but as per the scenario above, what settings would we need to change at our exchange server to receive and send emails successfully with new domain abc.edu.uk and what are the settings that needs to be donw with the new hosting provider with new Live IP for exchange server.
any additional settings do I need to make for OWA??

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys.

Cheers

(in reply to shoman)
Post #: 8

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> buying domain different than Exchange? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter