• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Ex07, ActiveSync and replying to emails

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Mobility >> Ex07, ActiveSync and replying to emails Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ex07, ActiveSync and replying to emails - 4.Nov.2010 8:00:14 PM   
gcrichton

Hi,

I've recently set up and deployed some HTC Snap devices with Windows Mobile 6.5. I used a self-signed certificate from Exchange 2007 SP3, imported it to each device and configured the settings, then tested email sending and receiving.

On the HTC, creating a new email and sending it works ok. Receiving emails to the HTC works ok. But, *replying* to an email on the HTC will *not* work. I receive the following ActiveSync error: 0x80072F06.

From this website: http://www.pocketpcfaq.com/faqs/activesync/exchange_errors.php, that error means:

POSSIBLE CAUSE:
The SSL certificate common name (host name field) is incorrect.
- OR -
Synchronization failed due to an incorrect SSL certificate common name.

POSSIBLE RESOLUTION
Verify certificate settings.
1. The name of the Exchange server specified on the device does not match the common name on the certificate.

USER ACTION
1. On your device, click Start, ActiveSync, Tools, Options, Server, and make sure that the correct server name is entered.

These are the (anonymised) details of the certificates on my exchange server. The Activesync cert is the 1024-bit one, second in the list. It has the FQDN of the server in the subject instead of the NETBIOS name. Would this make a difference to replying?

AccessRules : {System.Security.AccessControl.CryptoKeyAccessRule, System.Security.AccessControl.CryptoKeyAccessR
ule, System.Security.AccessControl.CryptoKeyAccessRule, System.Security.AccessControl.CryptoKeyAcc
essRule}
CertificateDomains : {ExchangeServer, ExchangeServer.domain.co.nz}
HasPrivateKey : True
IsSelfSigned : True
Issuer : CN=ExchangeServer
NotAfter : 8/10/2015 10:00:33 a.m.
NotBefore : 8/10/2010 10:00:33 a.m.
PublicKeySize : 2048
RootCAType : None
SerialNumber : 1CBD3D045A0BCE88404270DBD7875678
Services : IMAP, POP, SMTP
Subject : CN=ExchangeServer
Thumbprint : 62DE5D7876BFA408B28645A206610E1A41281234

AccessRules : {System.Security.AccessControl.CryptoKeyAccessRule, System.Security.AccessControl.CryptoKeyAccessR
ule, System.Security.AccessControl.CryptoKeyAccessRule, System.Security.AccessControl.CryptoKeyAcc
essRule}
CertificateDomains : {ExchangeServer.domain.co.nz, domain.co.nz, exchange.domain.co.nz, ExchangeServer}
HasPrivateKey : True
IsSelfSigned : True
Issuer : CN=ExchangeServer.domain.co.nz
NotAfter : 1/10/2015 1:47:31 p.m.
NotBefore : 1/10/2010 1:47:31 p.m.
PublicKeySize : 1024
RootCAType : Registry
SerialNumber : 2C92C631968570BA45B412C58B551234
Services : IMAP, POP, IIS, SMTP
Subject : CN=ExchangeServer.domain.co.nz
Thumbprint : 759F11D8A6B7F2E79842673ED281901591985678

As I said, creating emails and receiving them works ok. I do have some other options set such as manually sending/receiving but overall it's a pretty basic setup.

If anyone has any ideas of what to check next, I'd really appreciate it. In the mean time, I'm reading more on Exchange certificates and how they're used. Lastly, the reason we're using a self-signed certificate is because of budget constraints. If anyone can definitively say that replying will work with a 3rd-party cert, it may be an option, but I'm sure it should work with the self-signed one.

Thanks in advance,

Gordon.
Post #: 1
RE: Ex07, ActiveSync and replying to emails - 5.Nov.2010 6:30:40 AM   
rishishah

to check if your devices do trust the certificate so to the https owa site from your moble device.

Do you get any SSL error son the device's browser?

Rishi Shah, MCP

Remember to backup before applying the advice. www.saiconsult.co.uk. Happy to provide Professional Exchange Server Consultancy to anywhere in the world.

(in reply to gcrichton)
Post #: 2
RE: Ex07, ActiveSync and replying to emails - 8.Nov.2010 5:44:58 PM   
gcrichton

Hi again,

Yes, the devices use the certificate to get and send new email so I didn't think that was the problem.

After more investigation and some outside help, I figured out that it was the server address in the ActiveSync setup that was at fault. I had entered the IP address but when I changed it to the FQDN, everything worked perfectly. A few weeks ago when doing the initial testing I used the FQDN but there was an additional problem which meant the messaging wouldn't work. By the time I fixed that other problem, I had changed the server address to the IP address and didn't think to change it back.

So, using the server FQDN matched one of the addresses on the certificate hence everything's being processed properly.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Gordon.

(in reply to rishishah)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Mobility >> Ex07, ActiveSync and replying to emails Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter