• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Outlook 2010 Invalid E-mail Address Issue Finally Resolved

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> General >> Outlook 2010 Invalid E-mail Address Issue Finally Resolved Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Outlook 2010 Invalid E-mail Address Issue Finally Resolved - 30.Nov.2010 1:57:23 PM   
ITGirl82

I am new to this forum, but I wanted to share with you a solution to a problem that I recently resolved.  This problem had prompted me to sign-up for msexchange.org, however, I found an answer to my problem before I was able to create my "problem post".  If my post is redundant I apologize, but due to the amount of time and effort I put into getting a solution I figured someone might benefit from this post.  I am not an Exchange administrator by any stretch of the imagination, I support the Outlook application.

We had a user go from Office 2003 to Office 2010.  Whenever this person would address e-mails to certain people they would get that pesky mail tip that would say "This e-mail message cannot be delivered to (recipient name) because the e-mail address is no longer valid".  This message would appear even when they would be selecting a recipient out of the GAL.  Another Outlook 2010 user could address a message to the same user out of the GAL and not receive the message.

I ripped my hair out over this problem.  I deleted/recreated the user's mail profile, could not duplicate the issue in OWA, ran a repair on the Office installation, etc.

To resolve this issue we had to delete the user's nickname cache.  In earlier versions of Outlook the nickname cache would reside within the user's profile as an .nk2 file on the machine they were using Outlook on (%appdata%\Microsoft\Roaming\Outlook\)  Now, in Office 2010 the nickname cache is stored as part of the mailbox on the Exchange server.  To delete the cache have the user do the following in Outlook:  Click File, Click Options, Click Mail, scroll down to the Send messsages section.  Click the button that says Empty Auto-Complete List.  Click Yes on the message that asks if you are sure you want to empty the auto-complete list.  Click OK on the Outlook Options window, exit Outlook, then re-launch the application.

The user should now be able to select from the GAL and not receive the invalid e-mail address message, unless in fact, the e-mail address is truly invalid.  Yes, it's true their drop-down list when addressing messages is gone and will need "rebuilt" but they shouldn't be using that as an "address book" anyway - if you need the e-mail address in the future add it to your contacts in Outlook - easier said than done, right?

You can see Microsoft's article on this issue here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287623

Hope this saves at least one person the headache I had.
Post #: 1
RE: Outlook 2010 Invalid E-mail Address Issue Finally R... - 29.Aug.2013 4:07:55 PM   
spinelli

Thanks your post helped me fix my problem. If the user doesn't want to lose all the cached data in the NK2 file there is a free program called NK2EDIT that allows you to edit the file and remove only the problematic entries.

(in reply to ITGirl82)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> General >> Outlook 2010 Invalid E-mail Address Issue Finally Resolved Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter