• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

a question about the future...

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> General >> a question about the future... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
a question about the future... - 18.Dec.2010 7:21:31 PM   
jonin

hello all,

I am currently trying to complete an MCITP.

I have limited experience in sbs and exchange 2003. Though i work with 2003 i decided to complete the new MCITP for newer technologies.

So i am currently reading the ms press book on SBS2008
I wanted to start exchange server 2010 next year.

the question is:
am i waisting my time?

I have seen and been reading alot about exchange hosted services.
it seems like microsoft and other companies are hosting exchange cheaper and cheaper.

Is the cloud going to render in house company servers obsolete?
I was also reading an article on exchange vs gmail...and gmail won hands down.
i have come here to ask the pro's their vision for the future.

is there something im missing?

i dont want to spend a lot of time qualifying in something that wont benefit my career...and future.

i have always been fascinated with exchange and would love to do the course i was thinking about.

Please dont be biased in answering my question as all i am seeking is the truth.

thanks for reading
looking forward to your advice.

Jonin
Post #: 1
RE: a question about the future... - 18.Dec.2010 9:57:16 PM   
mark@mvps.org

For infrastructure people "the cloud" is the biggest load of nonsense you have ever heard since the last dumb marketing phrase. Servers have been "in the cloud" for years. What else do you call "somebody else's data centre"? What do you call "hosting"?

I think that, with SBS, you are probably going to see a lot less of it. Why? Bandwidth. Thousands of years ago small customers only needed a small amount of data and didn't have much of a connection to the internet so 25-50 users accessing their email from a hosted system was a problem. Now I have FiOS in my house. That's eight times the bandwidth for one person. I used to work at a place that had a 2Mb link for 800 users. So putting a bunch of corporations on a bunch of servers in a data centre yields some serious efficiencies.

However, corporations that do a lot of processing and host a lot of data are never going to the public cloud. Even a 'private cloud' is something you are going to treat as a marketing phrase. Virtualization brings efficiencies in terms of overall server utilization, allowing you to do more with existing assets.

The Cloud is of more use to software development. There's a lot of stratification benefits to be had. Devs don't have to work within quite so many constraints.

As for the gmail/exchange TCO thing and the in-house/cloud thing and the DAS/SAN thing. I can give you numbers that will show you any answer I care to invent. It's all a matter of perspective. I guarantee I can make a SAN based Exchange 2010 environment 40% cheaper than either hosted Exchange or in-house DAS. Or if I am talking to another customer I can guarantee that a hosted Exchange solution is the most cost effective.

By all means do the certifications. Absolutely. Go for it. But do it on the 'man-size' products unless you want to be the SBS go-to guy in your area. There are always going to be use-cases for it and essentially you becoming an expert just means that companies are putting their manpower into the cloud and you're the guy being leveraged across lots of resources.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to jonin)
Post #: 2
RE: a question about the future... - 20.Dec.2010 5:17:22 PM   
jonin

yes i see your valid points...thanks for your input...and i will o exchange next year!!!

anybody else got anything to add?

(in reply to jonin)
Post #: 3
RE: a question about the future... - 23.Dec.2010 9:52:50 AM   
jonin

anybody else

(in reply to jonin)
Post #: 4
RE: a question about the future... - 28.Dec.2010 3:35:45 PM   
troy12n

Well, M$ and Google and everybody else have been knocking on our doors trying to sell us hosted emails + M$ live 365 for some ridiculously low number.

We use Office 2003/Outlook 2007 and since Office 2003 is EOL in like 2014, we will have to do something then and a 1.5 million dollar pricetag for Office licensing is hanging over our heads. Our Exchange 2007 install and hardware will be 6 years old by then as well, meaning $$$ for new hardware + new Exchange licenses + cal's.

All these hosted services companies can make a compelling sale. I have been talking our management out of it, but when you can save money + lay off a good percentage of your IT workforce in the process, why not? Bean counters do not understand that once your data leaves YOUR infrastructure, it is no longer yours. You are a bitch to someone else and your SLA means nothing.

I think personally IT will be a very dead end profession for a lot of us if current trends continue. There will be a need for a very few very high end engineers living in Redmond, Boulder, Herndon, Silicon Valley/San Jose and a couple other places and low payed monkeys who know nothing more than how to swap out a DIMM or a failed hardware. No one inbetween.

Short sighted IT managers also dont realize that once they lose their infrastructure and staff, that their own jobs become completely unnecessary because at that point they are just a contract manager, and why would you pay someone hundreds of thousands of dollars to manage a contract?

But I digress...

(in reply to jonin)
Post #: 5
RE: a question about the future... - 12.Jan.2011 12:36:41 AM   
Tony Hu

I would like to say yes.

technologies are growing/changing very fast in the IT area. of course we want to be a architect, but you need to know the current knowledge/technology.

for the career/future, you need to think which direction you want to go: MS products? network? hardware? PM? ....

whatever direction you choose, you need to do some certification. just like you hold a master degree, the boss will think about to use you. then you can get a chance to get deeper knowledge in real production environment.

go for it.
just do it, don't waste so much time on thinking what should I do.
you will find some answer by yourself.

(in reply to troy12n)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> General >> a question about the future... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter