• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Database corrupt, please help!

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Information Stores >> Database corrupt, please help! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Database corrupt, please help! - 20.Dec.2010 9:24:03 AM   
thatdarnguy

Hi guys, have a major problem on my hands and could use some assistance!

For a bit of background - our Exchange 2007 server is a virtual server sitting on an ESX 3.0.2 platform, this is streamed to our Disaster Recovery server every 4 hours via a 3rd party app called vReplicator. On Thursday last week, I was called late to say that our mailserver was offline, I checked it over and the VM had frozen during a replication, I killed the processes in the console, deleted the snapshots and put the server back on it's feet.

Now, this is where the problems begin, of course our backup (BackupExec 11d) on thursday night failed as the mailserver was offline, however the backup also failed on Friday night, it failed on the mailbox database with the following message:

Backup- \\Mailserver\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group WARNING: "\\STEXUK01\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group\Mailbox Database" is a corrupt file.

This file cannot verify.

Verify- \\Mailserver\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group WARNING: "Mailbox Database" is a corrupt file.

This file cannot verify.

...insert several expletives here.

Now on checking over the Exchange server, since the crash on thursday night, Event# 473 is appearing in the application logs:

MSExchangeIS (3296) First Storage Group: The database page read from the file "G:\EXCHSRVR\MDBDATA\Mailbox Database.edb" at offset 158994898944 (0x0000002504d5a000) (database page 19408556 (0x12826AC)) for 8192 (0x00002000) bytes failed verification due to a page checksum mismatch. The expected checksum was 1496906767379812099 (0x14c614c6238d4f03) and the actual checksum was 1695912612894263757 (0x178917893daac9cd). The read operation will fail with error -1018 (0xfffffc06). If this condition persists then please restore the database from a previous backup. This problem is likely due to faulty hardware. Please contact your hardware vendor for further assistance diagnosing the problem.

I've read into this error further and found this KB:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314917/

This is what it says:

Recovering from -1018 Errors
Exchange treats a page that fails with a -1018 error as completely unreadable to prevent action on random data from causing further problems in the database.

A page that fails with a -1018 error cannot be repaired or salvaged. It must be expunged from the database. There are three methods that you can use to expunge the page from the database:
Restore the database from an online backup.
Use the Eseutil.exe /D switch to do an offline defragmentation of the database.
Use the Eseutil.exe /P switch to repair the database.

Now here's what I'm not sure of... I was off work last week due to the snow, and the backup tapes did not get changed in my absence, the last good backup I have of the Exchange Database is from the 10th of this month, that's 10 days ago... Insert more expletives here.

Is there any way to restore that database into a Recovery Storage Group and rebuild the 10 days worth of mail from the logs whilst keeping the main database in production, then unmounting the corrupt and mounting the repaired database, thus eliminating masses of downtime? Or is this just stupidly optimistic?

Downtime is a big issue and naturally I want to minimise it, but I don't want to put data integrity at risk, so the priority is Data integrity, then minimising downtime, so with this in mind, what are my options? My back's against the wall here guys and I'd really appreciate any advice.

Sorry for the massive post too!!

Thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: Database corrupt, please help! - 1.Jan.2012 6:52:40 AM   
Ellinor

An Exchange error -1018 is much more likely to be related to a wrong checksum then to a page number. This error generally appears when one of two conditions has been detected when reading a page in Exchange server database:
- The logical page number recorded on the page does not correspond to the physical location of the page inside the database file.
- The checksum recorded on the page does not match the checksum Exchange expects to find on the page

You can use any of these solutions to solve the given problem:
1. Restore the database from the last known good backup. Backup & restore operations is the good way to protect data from data loss.

2.Use built-in Eseutil.exe utility to defragment and check database consistency. These tools can be used to delete bad pages from from the databases and restore logical consistency to the remaining data. However it is a free solution to repair the damaged database but repairing a database using these built utilities typically results in some loss of data. Because Exchange server treats a bad page as completely unreadable and discarded during a repair process.

If the problem still persists, then a using a third party Exchange server recovery tool is a good option.

< Message edited by Ellinor -- 11.Oct.2015 1:22:52 AM >

(in reply to thatdarnguy)
Post #: 2
RE: Database corrupt, please help! - 5.Aug.2017 8:20:12 AM   
armias1

The software easily recovers corrupted edb database and create the PST file.

Important features of the software

Restores damaged EDB files
Extracts EDB files from BKF files directly
Recovers mailboxes, public folders, and archive mailboxes from EDB files
Retrieves deleted items from mailboxes
Extracts attachments from emails
Saves retrieved data in Outlook PST files, production Exchange, and Office 365
Migrates data between Exchange/Office 365 and Exchange/Office 365
Performs need-based recovery/migration of mailboxes, folders, and item
Provides search option to find specific items quickly and easily
Offers preview of both the source data and the destination data on the same window
Provides instant copy-paste and drag-drop facility to move items from the source to the destination
Generates Operation Logs to provide the details of the performed tasks
Supports all versions of Exchange Server, MS Outlook, and Windows OS
Read more and free downlaod click here : https://exchangeserverrepair.blogspot.com

(in reply to thatdarnguy)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Information Stores >> Database corrupt, please help! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter