• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Cannot Install Exchange server 2007 in Windows server 2008

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Installation >> Cannot Install Exchange server 2007 in Windows server 2008 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cannot Install Exchange server 2007 in Windows server 2008 - 30.Dec.2010 5:12:09 AM   
biniman

Hi All,
I am having problems installing Exchange server 2007 in Windows server 2008. First, I tried to install it in Windows server 2008 Datacenter edition. I was told that Exchange server 2007 could not install in Datacenter. Then I tried to install it in Windows 7 Professional x64. It did not work. I tried to install it in Windows Vista x64 and still it did not work. Finally, I tried to install a different copy of Exchange server 2007 in Windows server 2008 Enterprise edition sp2, x64. I ended up with the exact error message that I have been receiving all along.

The error message comes up when I click on setup.exe and try to follow the stages of installation. On the very first page, the images are replaced with X (cross mark)indicating some problem with the page. when I click anywhere in the page, I get the following error message:

"An error has occured in the script of this page

Line: 263
Char: 4
Error: The system cannot locate the resource specified
Code: 0
URL: ///file/C:/Users/xyz/AppData/Local/Temp/default.htm"

Under the Install, it shows:
Step1: Install .NET framework 2.0-Installed
Step2: Install Microsoft Management Console (MMC)-Installed
Step3: Install Microsoft Windows Powershell -Installed
When I click on Step4: Install Microsoft Exchange, I get the above error message.

I am just a beginner in Exchange and so, I do not understand the error message at all. I have tried to set the internet security to Low, but that did not help. The Windows server 2008 is updated.

I have enabled the following features:
ASP.NET
ISAPI Extensions
ISAPI Filters
Server Side Includes
.NET Extensibility
Basic Authentication
Windows Authentication
Digest Authentication
Dynamic Content Compression
IIS 6 Management Compatibility

Does anybody know what is wrong here? Please help.

A Small World!
Post #: 1
RE: Cannot Install Exchange server 2007 in Windows serv... - 30.Dec.2010 10:38:20 AM   
tthompson164

I would say this has nothing to do with internet access. The URL it can't find is a file on the local drive. This looks similar to installation problems I'v have with a few other software packages on win7. You need to be sure you run the install in the context of the adminstrator. Easiest way to do this is type "cmd" in the search box the right click the found CMD item in the menu and select "Run as Administrator". Anything you launch in the command box will run in that context. Also, at least in win7 it helps if you slide the User Account Control down to the lowest setting, reboot, then run the install. Of course set the UAC back once the install is complete.

(in reply to biniman)
Post #: 2
RE: Cannot Install Exchange server 2007 in Windows serv... - 30.Dec.2010 4:13:39 PM   
biniman

Thanks. I am actually logged in as administrator. In any case, I turned off the user account control in line with your suggestion. I still received the same error message. I browsed to the location of the default.htm file and I saw that I have full permission on it. I opened the file but as usual, the images were not displayed. They were represented by X (cross mark)and at the bottom left hand corner it showed "error on page".

I will appreciate any more suggestions.

A Small World!

(in reply to tthompson164)
Post #: 3
RE: Cannot Install Exchange server 2007 in Windows serv... - 31.Dec.2010 11:51:52 AM   
pjhutch

Sounds like the installation files are corrupted somehow. You need to download Exchange 2007 again and then re-install. E2K7 SP3 can be downloaded from:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=1687160b-634a-43cb-a65a-f355cff0afa6

Peter Hutchison MCP
Exchange Administrator
University of Huddersfield

(in reply to biniman)
Post #: 4
RE: Cannot Install Exchange server 2007 in Windows serv... - 11.Jan.2011 1:46:36 PM   
biniman

Happy New Year guys!
I did not forget about my problems installing Exchange server 2007. I have actually been struggling to download Exchange server 2007 sp3 x64. You see, I have an unreliable internet access and I have been unable to download it even in a cyber cafe.

I have however managed to download Exchange server 2010 trial version because it is a smaller file. I have installed all the hotfixes and updates. But even Exchange server 2010 is proving difficult for me to install. I once had Exchange server 2003 in my domain. I deleted it some time ago. So, when I tried to install Exchange server 2010 in the domain, it gave a Hub Transport error indicating that there was an existing exchange server 2003 that needed to be upgraded to SP3. Since I had already deleted the Exchange server from my domain, I decided to use the ADSI MMC to remove all traces of the server from the First Administrative Group. While I do not receive the Hub Transport error anymore, I have another error that's stopping me from going forward with the istallation. The error message under Client Access Role Prerequisites is "The norminated Exchange server for offline address book 'Default Offline Address List' has been deleted. Norminate a valid server and restart setup". Therein lies the problem - how do I norminate a valid server? Please, help as usual.

Thanks.

A Small World!

(in reply to pjhutch)
Post #: 5
RE: Cannot Install Exchange server 2007 in Windows serv... - 12.Jan.2011 4:15:05 AM   
pjhutch

To change the OAB server, open Exchange Management Server, goto Organisation Configuration, Mailbox, Offline Address Book.

In ADSIEdit, you can view/change the OAB server here:
Configuration, Services, Microsoft Exchange, Site name, Address Lists Container, Offline Address Lists, Default Offline Address List.

The attribute is offlineABServer and value is the DN of the Exchange server.

Peter Hutchison MCP
Exchange Administrator

(in reply to biniman)
Post #: 6
RE: Cannot Install Exchange server 2007 in Windows serv... - 12.Jan.2011 4:59:26 PM   
biniman

Thanks for your contributions, Mr. Peter. I attempted to follow the instructions. It looks like I have done something incorrectly. Here's the contents of the attribute:

CN=SQLMAILMOSS,CN=Servers,CN=First Administrative Group,CN=Administrative Groups,CN=MYDOTCOM,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=my,DC=com

After making the changes, I decided to restart the server, it could no longer join the domain. It hangs when I try to log on to the domain. The server name is SQLMAILMOSS. I named it that way because my original intention was to use the same machine for SQL, Exchange sever and Microsoft Office SharePoint Service. I named the domain my.com because I wanted a name I could easily type in.

What will happen if I just delete the entire "CN=Microsoft Exchange" node? I know this is all getting too stretched out, but please guys, help. I need to be able to complete the installation so that I would have something with which to practice.

A Small World!

(in reply to pjhutch)
Post #: 7
RE: Cannot Install Exchange server 2007 in Windows serv... - 13.Jan.2011 9:29:15 AM   
pjhutch

Try these articles:

Removing an Exchange 2007 organisation:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa998313(EXCHG.80).aspx

Removing an Exchange 2003 organisation:
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Remove-Exchange-server-entire-Exchange-organization.html

Using RemoveOrg option:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830185

Peter Hutchison MCP
Exchange Administrator

(in reply to biniman)
Post #: 8
RE: Cannot Install Exchange server 2007 in Windows serv... - 16.Jan.2011 2:17:47 PM   
biniman

Thanks a lot Peter. I reckon that I have wrecked my server. I am not able to conmplete the installation and I am not able to uninstall the partial installation. I think I messed up the server completely. I am just going to do a clean installation of Windows server 2008 and start the process afresh. I appreciate your efforts.

A Small World!

(in reply to pjhutch)
Post #: 9
RE: Cannot Install Exchange server 2007 in Windows serv... - 7.Feb.2011 10:09:55 AM   
Mathiau

Sounds like the best bet, when you took out your exchange 2003 doesnt sound like you did it properly so now it is lingering around in your domain.

Start from scratch and format, will cut out alot of possible problems you are having.

=]]]]]]]] will get there eventually [[[[[[[[=

(in reply to biniman)
Post #: 10
RE: Cannot Install Exchange server 2007 in Windows serv... - 17.Mar.2011 8:58:56 AM   
Gulab

Download the fresh copy of Exchange 2007 SP3 setup files and try installing it. Seems like there is issue with Setup files it self.

Gulab Prasad,
Technology Consultant
Exchange Ranger
Check out CodeTwo’s tools for Exchange admins

(in reply to biniman)
Post #: 11

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Installation >> Cannot Install Exchange server 2007 in Windows server 2008 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter