Mixed environment attachment missing (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Outlook Web Access

pe5mith -> Mixed environment attachment missing (25.Jan.2011 8:35:52 AM)

We have a Exchange 2003 system all clients using OWA internally. We have just bought 2010 and setup it up as a new member server. We can send messages between the mailboxes on the old 2003 OWA and the new 2010 OWA no problem.

However one 2010 mailbox sent an attachment to four 2003 mailboxes and one 2010 mailbox. But two of the 2003 mailboxes could not see any attachment (not even listed) and therefore cannot open it. However if they reply the attachment comes back to the sender fine. The olny difference in the those two clients have Office 2003 on and the others have Office 2007. The original attachment was a Word 2003 file.

How can we solve this very odd behaviour? Most of our mailboxes are still on the 2003 store and I don't want to migrate them until I am sure it's all working fine. Sending out of domain works fine!

de.blackman -> RE: Mixed environment attachment missing (25.Jan.2011 9:10:34 AM)

Can you log into these two "problematic" mailboxes through OWA and see if the attachments show up in there?

Can users receive attachments in messages sent from other users on the Exchange 2003 server?

pe5mith -> RE: Mixed environment attachment missing (25.Jan.2011 9:16:04 AM)

Each user can log into their mailbox through OWA fine. The 'odd' two can see the message that was sent to them but cannot see any attachment. If they forward it on outside to an external address the attachment is there and if they reply back to the sender. They just cannot see the attachment in their own OWA.

The strange thing is the users that are on the 2003 OWA with Office 2007 installed can see and open the attachment link fine.

95% of our network uses Office 2003 so this will be a major problem.

pe5mith -> RE: Mixed environment attachment missing (25.Jan.2011 9:18:12 AM)

Just to clarify this is not using Public folders - one user is sending one simple message with an attachment to a few other users.

de.blackman -> RE: Mixed environment attachment missing (25.Jan.2011 9:26:36 AM)

Just to clarify my understanding of the issue, users who are on Exchange 2003 but use Office 2007 have no issues seeing the attachment; however users on the same server running Office 2003 receive the email but no visible attachment, either in OWA or Outlook...correct??

Can these two users send emails with attachments between themselves and everything works? Can you use only OWA to test for these two users (lets eliminate Outlook as a possible cause of the issue)?

pe5mith -> RE: Mixed environment attachment missing (25.Jan.2011 10:38:45 AM)

Yes we have a exchange 2003 system right across the domain with all users only using OWA. That has been in and working fine for years. We have now added 2010 to the system and migrated two mailboxes (Mine and Robin's) to that 2010 datastore. All the rest are still in 2003.

Robin sent me and four others an email with a Word 2003 attachment. I can see it and open it fine and the two (2003 OWA) clients with Office 2007 on their computer can see and open the attachment fine (as can I with Office 2010). However the other two who have Office 2003 on their PC cannot see the attachment at all. If they forward the message to me or reply to Robin they send back the attachment and that is fine. The two with a problem just cannot see there is any attachment. As what these two have is normal across our domain I assume that everyone one else won't be able to see my or Robin's attachments and any one else I migrate to Ex2010.

de.blackman -> RE: Mixed environment attachment missing (31.Jan.2011 10:11:38 AM)

Can you please test and report the findings of the following:

Can these two users send emails with attachments between themselves and everything works?

Can you use only OWA to test for these two users (lets eliminate Outlook as a possible cause of the issue)?

pe5mith -> RE: Mixed environment attachment missing (31.Jan.2011 10:21:03 AM)

Yes everything works fine between these two users and also users with Office 2007.

We only use OWA - outlook is not used at all.

de.blackman -> RE: Mixed environment attachment missing (31.Jan.2011 10:39:27 AM)

OK I am still a bit confused here. If all users use OWA, why is the version of  Office such a concern??? Are you trying to say that this issue only happens with Office files (docx, xlsx, doc , etc...)?? Does the issue occur if these users send PDF or zip files??

pe5mith -> RE: Mixed environment attachment missing (31.Jan.2011 10:47:36 AM)

I can't explain it but if the PC only has Office 2003 on it they see NO attachments at all (even word 2003, jpg, txt etc) that has come from a one of the two accounts in Ex2010 OWA. If the PC has Office 2007/10 on they see and can open attachments fine. If other OWA 2003 clients send them attachments they are fine - it's just ones from OWA 2010 mailboxes.

It seems that installing Office 2007 or 2010 installs something extra that makes IE see the attachemnts fine in OWA 2003.

I assume if I migrate everyone to Ex 2010 then the problem will go away but I'm not ready for that yet!

gengaiyan -> RE: Mixed environment attachment missing (1.Feb.2011 7:49:19 AM)

Hi,

I am really wondering about your problem, Plase check your Email Formet of Who Using 2003 Server MailBox OWA. It Should HTML Formet, It should not Plain Text Formet.

I think it will resolve your problem.

Please post your feedback..

Regards
Gangaiyan

pe5mith -> RE: Mixed environment attachment missing (2.Feb.2011 8:08:18 AM)

Good suggestion! - However it made no difference.

I now find that I have been given misleading information. The two old clients where it worked neglected to tell me that they were using external email systems (where there is no problem).

The actual problem is that Ex 2010 is not sending the attachments to the other Ex 2003 member server. Any attachment added through OWA2010 will go to any external address but not to a mailbox still in the member EX2003 system. If those 2003 clients add another attachment to the original message and send the message back ALL the attachments appear back at the 2010 account.

However anything added at the 2003 Exchange server quite happily goes through to the 2010 server.

So attachments distributed internally don't travel between exchange 2010 server and the old 2003 server so I must have something missing in my Ex2010 set up.
Ideas?

SchalkV -> RE: Mixed environment attachment missing (18.Apr.2013 7:01:43 AM)

Did anyone find a solution for this problem?

S

pe5mith -> RE: Mixed environment attachment missing (18.Apr.2013 8:35:45 AM)

Hi SchalkV

There is unfortunately no solution to this problem. This is a FEATURE of the raised security in an Exchange 2010 server. What we had to do in the end was to migrate every mailbox over to the 2010 server and the problem goes away.

The two versions will always have issues with attachments within an organisation.

SchalkV -> RE: Mixed environment attachment missing (18.Apr.2013 8:40:09 AM)

Thanks dude, I though so much... javascript:void(AddText('[&:]'))

Have to migrate faster then.... 3TB of mail stores damn

sunala -> RE: Mixed environment attachment missing (8.Jul.2013 1:41:54 AM)

First, we must check our email formet of who using 2003 server MailBox OWA. It should HTML formet, and not Plain Text Formet.
Know it?

Page: [1]