• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Public Folder not visible

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> General >> Public Folder not visible Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Public Folder not visible - 21.Feb.2011 4:43:43 PM   
grodzewicz

I have a user that can not see one particular Public Folder.Our organization has two sites and two Exchange 2010 servers. The particular folder originates on server A and the user accesses Exchange on server B. Replication is setup and working, the folder is in the database on server B and contains 2600+ items. The permission level on the folder for the user in question is set to Publishing Author. The user can see the entire folder tree except this folder. Any help resolving this will be greatly appreciated. If you need more info let me know and I will provide what I can.
Post #: 1
RE: Public Folder not visible - 22.Feb.2011 10:55:28 AM   
travis.sheldon

Is the public folder a child public folder?

What is the result if you type the following command in Exchange Management Shell (Change the public folder name to match the public folder name that you see in Outlook on a working user)

Get-PublicFolderClientPermissions -Identity "\publicfoldername\subfoldername" -User "DOMAIN\user" | fl

(in reply to grodzewicz)
Post #: 2
RE: Public Folder not visible - 22.Feb.2011 12:27:46 PM   
grodzewicz

It is not a child or sub folder the results were as follows

command run on server A

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-PublicFolderClientPermission -Identity "\PublicFolder" -User "DOMAIN\user1" | fl

RunspaceId : 0b553d17-beea-44b0-b027-980838e16ea1
Identity : \PublicFolder
User : FQDN/OU/OU/OU/user1
AccessRights : {PublishingAuthor}

command run on server B

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-PublicFolderClientPermission -Identity "\PublicFolder" -User "DOMAIN\user1" | fl

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-PublicFolderClientPermission -Identity "\PublicFolder" -User "DOMAIN\administrator" | fl

RunspaceId : 9cdc3bcd-67a6-4242-82c1-fc9dc94d9d9c
Identity : \PublicFolder
User : FQDN/Users/Administrator
AccessRights : {Owner}

There was no result for the user when the command was run on server B, but if run for the domain admin from server B the expected result occurs. Is this an issue with replication of permissions? How can I fix this?

Thanks,

Greg

(in reply to travis.sheldon)
Post #: 3
RE: Public Folder not visible - 22.Feb.2011 1:03:23 PM   
travis.sheldon

It does sound like either replication hasn't processed the change or it failed to update

In any event, you can add the permission to the public folder on server b

Add-PublicFolderClientPermission -Identity "\PublicFolder" -User "DOMAIN\User" -AccessRights "PublishingAuthor"

(in reply to grodzewicz)
Post #: 4
RE: Public Folder not visible - 22.Feb.2011 1:12:02 PM   
grodzewicz

This fixed it and made the user happy, which makes my day easier. Thank you very much.

Greg

Post #: 5
RE: Public Folder not visible - 22.Feb.2011 3:06:05 PM   
grodzewicz

I retract my previous statement. The folder is now visible but the copies on the two servers do not match. Upon further digging it looks like replication of the public folders has not taken place since the server at site A was migrated to Exchange 2010 from Exchange 2003 4 months ago. Any help on getting replication functional again would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

Post #: 6
RE: Public Folder not visible - 23.Feb.2011 11:48:26 AM   
travis.sheldon

Greg,

What is the result of the following

Get-PublicFolder "\PublicFolder" | fl identity,replicas

Does it show the PFDB of Server A and Server B?

If it doesnt, add the replica

$aa = get-publicfolder "\PublicFolder"
$aa.Replicas += "MISSINGDBName"

Now confirm that the temporary variable contains the replicas for both servers

$aa.Replicas

If it shows both databases, you can set the live public folder replica list for that folder

Set-publicfolder -Identity "\PublicFolder" -replicas $aa.Replicas

You can then update the content from the master server with

Update-PublicFolder -Identity "\publicfolder" -Server "SOURCEServer"

(in reply to grodzewicz)
Post #: 7
RE: Public Folder not visible - 24.Feb.2011 12:55:32 PM   
grodzewicz

When I ran the command the PFDB of both servers did show. The command to update did not result in an update occuring. My counterpart at site A informed me that he put on SP1 for Exchange 2010 and that he read we could be having a validation issue between the SP1 server and the non SP1 server. Could this be the case? I will be doing the SP1 upgrade during downtime over the next few days. Hopefully this fixes it.

Thanks,

Greg

Post #: 8
RE: Public Folder not visible - 24.Feb.2011 4:14:08 PM   
travis.sheldon

Im pretty sure the differencing in RTM to SP1 would halt replication.

(in reply to grodzewicz)
Post #: 9
RE: Public Folder not visible - 2.Mar.2011 9:10:41 AM   
grodzewicz

SP1 is finally on the server. The OAB is working now but public folders are still not in sync. trying to manually update with Updadte-PublicFolders still results in a long pause at the powershell prompt like it is doing something, but no update of the information in the public folder takes place. Under the Servers Summary in the EMC in the Organizational Health tab it shows 3 servers (2)exch2010 and (1)exch2003. All of the 2003 servers have been uninstalled and taken off line. Might there be leftovers in AD that could be causing our issues.

Thanks,

Greg

Post #: 10
RE: Public Folder not visible - 2.Mar.2011 1:47:55 PM   
travis.sheldon

It sounds like it...do you have any errors from ESE in application event logs about public folder notifications not being delivered to the 2003 server? If the 2003 server isn't part of the replication scheme, I can't see it making a difference.

Are the actual folders present on both servers and it's just missing the "content" .. or are folders / subfolders missing between the servers?

(in reply to grodzewicz)
Post #: 11
RE: Public Folder not visible - 2.Mar.2011 4:45:53 PM   
grodzewicz

I have not been getting any errors, so I just turned all of the diagnostic logging for replication to high. The folders are present on both servers but the content is not in sync. I also tried adding a new folder after the SP1 upgrade and that hierarchy is not replicating (now I have one folder that only appears on one server.) All attempts to manually update with Update-PublicFolder and Update-PublicFolderHierarchy have been un-successful.

Thanks,

Greg

Post #: 12
RE: Public Folder not visible - 3.Mar.2011 10:26:45 AM   
travis.sheldon

Are you running the update-publicfolder commands from the server that has all the content, or the missing content?

Whichever one you run it from is pushing the changes that it has to the replicas..

(in reply to grodzewicz)
Post #: 13
RE: Public Folder not visible - 3.Mar.2011 11:12:33 AM   
grodzewicz

Both servers have data that is out of sync. I have run the command from both servers and non of the data is updating.

Thanks,

Greg

Post #: 14
RE: Public Folder not visible - 3.Mar.2011 4:17:21 PM   
travis.sheldon

If both servers have out of sync data then it sounds like you told the server that originally had the out of sync data to "update-publicfolder" and "update-publicfolderhierarchy" instead of doing it from the server that had the good content...

Essentially, I think you overwrote the good data with the out of sync data.

Do you have backups of the public folder database?

(in reply to grodzewicz)
Post #: 15
RE: Public Folder not visible - 3.Mar.2011 5:03:04 PM   
grodzewicz

Both servers have good data. These are mostly departmental calendars. Calendars at site A have all of the data users at site A have added but nothing from site B. Calendars at site B have all of the data users at site B have added but nothing from site A. So the situation is that server A needs to be updated from server B and server B needs to be updated from server A. Everything was working properly before the admin at site A migrated to exchange2010 from exchange2003. Are there any known issues with the migration that can break replication?

Thanks,

Greg

Post #: 16
RE: Public Folder not visible - 5.Mar.2011 1:03:14 PM   
stuartsveron1

It's very nice post. I am starting to watch it. May I know how can i watch it online?
Thanks,website maken and
website maken

(in reply to grodzewicz)
Post #: 17
RE: Public Folder not visible - 9.Mar.2011 9:00:36 AM   
grodzewicz

After turning up logging I have discovered that the server at Site A is generating replication notifications but is not recieving notifications or backfill requests. The server at site B is generating replication notifications and backfill requests and is recieving replication notifications. I am seeing references to the old exch2003 admin group in some of the messages. Could this old admin group be the road block? Will it need to be removed? Will removing it cause any other problems?

Thanks,

Greg

Post #: 18

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> General >> Public Folder not visible Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter