• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

?Step by Step: Ex07 SP1 to SP3 , child domain install

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Installation >> ?Step by Step: Ex07 SP1 to SP3 , child domain install Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
?Step by Step: Ex07 SP1 to SP3 , child domain install - 5.Mar.2011 7:30:03 PM   
Schwarz

Hi everyone,
I have read many articles on topic upgrading from ex2007 SP1 to SP3 an I am stil confused.
What confusing me is issue of /prepare schema and /prepare domain tasks. When to run it, where to run it, and so.
Lets try to help me to solve confusion and to give other guys clearer view on this topic. Because I notice that I am not only one with dilemma.

Let say, for purpose of all possible cases, that enviroment is like this:
--- I have Windows Server 2003 x32 DC serving abc.local domain
--- There is also Windows Server x64 DC serving kid.abc.local domain
--- I have windows server 2003 with Ex07 SP1 in kid.abc.local domain, (functional, running for one, two years in described enviroment.of course x64)with All roles except Edge on it.
--- And EDGE (SP1)role on Windows Server 2003 x64

Prior to running upgrade to SP3, do I need to trigger those /prepare swithes and where, by which order.

What is confusing me is also thing that, when I was first time installing Ex07, let say same two years ago, there was also main thing to do is to trigger those /prepare switches. First Dilemma; Do I need to trigger them again from within SP3 folder (setup.com)? prior to installing it?
If so, is that mean that I need SP3 setup files on all my Domanins (DCs) and also x32 and x64 (in example case I have primary domain on x32 DC servers and child domain on x64 DC server,which is exchange domain also.

Note:I also read in "release notes for Ex07 SP3" that we need to upgrade Mailbox role Last, meaning that first we need to upgrade EDGE machine.

Txn, I hope that responses to this will rounde whole this topic.
Post #: 1
RE: ?Step by Step: Ex07 SP1 to SP3 , child domain install - 16.Mar.2011 8:37:20 AM   
Gulab

The answer is Yes, You will have to run these commands again, Setup.com /ps, Setup.com /pd and Setup.com /preparead
Its a best practice and you have multiple domain environment hence i won't suggest to run Setup.exe directly.

No you don't have to run these commands on all the DC's in domain, just one will be fine and replication will take care of the rest.

About the sequence of upgrade, Yes Mailbox Server will be last one to be upgrade but that doesn't mean that you will have to upgrade EDGE server first, you should go as per below sequence.
CAS, HT, UM and EDGE.

Gulab Prasad,
Technology Consultant
Exchange Ranger
Check out CodeTwo’s tools for Exchange admins

(in reply to Schwarz)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Installation >> ?Step by Step: Ex07 SP1 to SP3 , child domain install Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter