• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Exchange 2007 SP1 to SP2 or SP3 ??

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Installation >> Exchange 2007 SP1 to SP2 or SP3 ?? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exchange 2007 SP1 to SP2 or SP3 ?? - 10.Mar.2011 3:09:19 AM   
verus

Hello,

We have 2 Exchange 2007 SP1 servers and I would like to upgrade to SP2 or SP3.
Is there more that I need to know than <NEXT><NEXT><NEXT><FINISH> ?

What is the time for an upgrade ?
And do I have to upgrade them at the same time ? or stop the services on the second one when the first one is being upgraded ?

And should i directly go for SP3 ?
And if so, can i go from SP1 to SP3 in one time or do i have to install SP2 first ?

thanks, Verus.

< Message edited by verus -- 10.Mar.2011 3:16:56 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Exchange 2007 SP1 to SP2 or SP3 ?? - 10.Mar.2011 8:25:09 AM   
de.blackman

Exchange service packs are cumulative meaning that you can go directly from SP1 to SP3 without installing SP2! The service pack installation of Exchange does a schema update so make sure you are logged in as a schema administrator. I recommend you backup your active directory and all your exchange databases before running the upgrade.

The recommended upgrade path is to update your client access server first followed by the hub transport and finally the mailbox server (and unified messaging if present; edge can be at any point). If your servers contain all three roles, then upgrade the internet facing server first!

Ibrahim Benna - Microsoft Exchange MVP
Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

(in reply to verus)
Post #: 2
RE: Exchange 2007 SP1 to SP2 or SP3 ?? - 16.Mar.2011 8:51:48 AM   
Gulab

Here you GO..
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff607226(EXCHG.80).aspx

You need to extend the schema before you start installing the Binaries
Run the below commands before starting installation
Setup.com /ps
Setup.com /pd
Setup.com /preparead

Cheers,

Gulab Prasad,
Technology Consultant
Exchange Ranger
Check out CodeTwo’s tools for Exchange admins

(in reply to verus)
Post #: 3
RE: Exchange 2007 SP1 to SP2 or SP3 ?? - 18.Mar.2011 3:55:33 AM   
verus

Hi,

Thanks for the info, it's quite clear.
Some other questions:

1) I will do these AD preparations a day befor the actual upgrade, is it best to do this on a domain controller or can i do it on the exchange server which is no domain controller ?

2) "About the recommended upgrade path", everything is on one server and we have another "backup" server.
After the preparations I just have to do the setup on the main server and don't care about the "recommended upgrade path" because everything is on one server.
(of course i will also stop the services on the backup server and upgrade the backup server once the main server is upgraded). Is that correct ?

3)We also use OWA and that's with certificates, will there be a change in that after the upgrade or should everything work like before ?

4) This is a virtual server, is it ok to take a snapshot and if something is terribly wrong after the upgrade, can i revert the installation with the snapshot ?

5) how much time does this upgrade take about (just to have an idea) ?

6) any other recommendations ?

thanks!
Verus.

(in reply to Gulab)
Post #: 4
RE: Exchange 2007 SP1 to SP2 or SP3 ?? - 18.Mar.2011 8:37:03 AM   
de.blackman

quote:

1) I will do these AD preparations a day befor the actual upgrade, is it best to do this on a domain controller or can i do it on the exchange server which is no domain controller ?

You can run it from the Exchange servers. Besides you will not be able to run from the DC unless you have them running 64-bit OSes (remember that the exchange installation files are for 64-bit OSes)

quote:

2) "About the recommended upgrade path", everything is on one server and we have another "backup" server.
After the preparations I just have to do the setup on the main server and don't care about the "recommended upgrade path" because everything is on one server.
(of course i will also stop the services on the backup server and upgrade the backup server once the main server is upgraded). Is that correct ?

If all your roles are combined on the same server then you dont have to worry about the upgrade path. That is only for environments that have the roles split on different servers. What do you mean by a backup server? Is this a server you use for backing up exchange or is this an exchange server you have as a backup?? Please clarify!

quote:

3)We also use OWA and that's with certificates, will there be a change in that after the upgrade or should everything work like before ?

No change in the certificate. As long as you have not customized your OWA look and feel, you will be fine

quote:

4) This is a virtual server, is it ok to take a snapshot and if something is terribly wrong after the upgrade, can i revert the installation with the snapshot ?

Snapshot doesnt hurt but you will need to do this for ALL your domain controllers as well. Remember that installing exchange service pack is not only affecting the local exchange server but modifying active directory. Always backup your DC system state data and your exchange databases before any type of upgrade.

quote:

5) how much time does this upgrade take about (just to have an idea) ?

Approximately 30mins to an hour.

quote:

6) any other recommendations ?

Yes....Backup...Backup...Backup...Backup! :)

Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

(in reply to verus)
Post #: 5
RE: Exchange 2007 SP1 to SP2 or SP3 ?? - 18.Mar.2011 8:40:49 AM   
verus

Thanks for the very helpful answers!
The backup server is a secondary exchange server with no stores attached.
Nothing special.

best regards,
Verus.

(in reply to de.blackman)
Post #: 6
RE: Exchange 2007 SP1 to SP2 or SP3 ?? - 28.Mar.2011 2:21:11 PM   
Ytsejamer1

Does SP3 detect and install schema changes before installing the binaries on the server?  I remember reading that the setup will check first and handle it's business.

I think my first 2007 server was with SP1...then i jumped to SP3.  Don't remember doing a second schema update.  Knock on wood, but so far so good.  My other servers were 2007 SP3 direct installs. 

Nonetheless, de.blackman is spot on and good insight as usual.

(in reply to verus)
Post #: 7
RE: Exchange 2007 SP1 to SP2 or SP3 ?? - 29.Mar.2011 3:31:11 AM   
verus

No idea but i will do the SP3 upgrade saturday and will do the schema preparations first.
best regards,
Verus.

(in reply to Ytsejamer1)
Post #: 8
RE: Exchange 2007 SP1 to SP2 or SP3 ?? - 1.Apr.2011 9:50:52 AM   
kesm0724

You need to research what else utilizes Exchange. In my case Cisco Unity 7.0 does not support SP2 so I had to upgrade from 2007 sp1 to Sp3 directly. You will need to update your Active Directory Schema before migrating to SP2 or SP3. Also - apply the most recent SP3 rollups if you decide to go to sp3. In my case I upgraded my whole environment in one night - albeit ambitious. I did run into one issue on my CAS server as the upgrade to SP3 blew away my custom configuration. I broke blackberry users for a good portion of the next day. But that was pretty much the worst of it. Good Luck!

(in reply to verus)
Post #: 9
RE: Exchange 2007 SP1 to SP2 or SP3 ?? - 1.Apr.2011 12:13:18 PM   
de.blackman

Any Exchange service pack install will now modify and update the schema if it detects that a schema update has not yet been done. It will also prepare the domain if needed.

Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

(in reply to kesm0724)
Post #: 10
RE: Exchange 2007 SP1 to SP2 or SP3 ?? - 17.Apr.2012 10:08:11 AM   
rspalmer

de.blackman you mention about exchange installations files being for 64bit OS's. I just did the schema update for exchange 2007 sp3 on my domain controller with the 32bit install. Now my exchange servers are 64bit. Is this going to be a problem?

I also only ran the setup /preparead because in the document it says you don't need to run the other 2 if you run the /preparead. Is this correct? Should I be fine if I only ran the /preparead?

I just ran the /preparead last Friday I am not planning on doing the upgrade to sp3 for another couple weeks. Is this a issue? Can this cause problems?

Thanks for the help!

Post #: 11
RE: Exchange 2007 SP1 to SP2 or SP3 ?? - 15.Jun.2012 2:24:44 PM   
Ytsejamer1

You can run the schema updates via the 32bit binaries on a 32-bit server. It will update just fine.

As for simply running preparead only...i'd refer to the MS documentation. If they say you don't need to run the other two if you run the preparead, then you are set. There is no problem simply extending the schema and preparing AD and waiting however long you want before you decide to install your new SP.

(in reply to rspalmer)
Post #: 12
RE: Exchange 2007 SP1 to SP2 or SP3 ?? - 21.Aug.2013 8:30:40 PM   
bdiamond

Ok...I just want to make sure that I understand this correctly. My senario is this:

I have 2 non-clustered Exchange server 2007 SP1 both sitting on individual server 2008 r2 sp1.
I want to apply SP3 to both Exchange 2007 sp1's.
I am building another Exchange server but will be a clean exchange 2007 sp3 install on a server 2008 r2 sp1 box.

Do I need to do an AD schema update or will SP3 handle that for me?

I don't have any exchange 2003 or older on the domain. We have been running exchange 2007 sp1 for some time now.

Thank you for any assistance that you can offer.

(in reply to Ytsejamer1)
Post #: 13
RE: Exchange 2007 SP1 to SP2 or SP3 ?? - 21.Aug.2013 8:40:14 PM   
bdiamond

Ok...I just want to make sure that I understand this correctly. My senario is this:

I have 2 non-clustered Exchange server 2007 SP1 both sitting on individual server 2008 r2 sp1.
I want to apply SP3 to both Exchange 2007 sp1's.
I am building another Exchange server but will be a clean exchange 2007 sp3 install on a server 2008 r2 sp1 box.

Do I need to do an AD schema update or will SP3 handle that for me?

I don't have any exchange 2003 or older on the domain. We have been running exchange 2007 sp1 for some time now.

Thank you for any assistance that you can offer.

Post #: 14

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Installation >> Exchange 2007 SP1 to SP2 or SP3 ?? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter