• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Can't change password using OWA?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Outlook Web Access >> Can't change password using OWA? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can't change password using OWA? - 14.Mar.2011 4:02:47 PM   
Tony414

Hello,
I've searched the forum and net and can't seem to pinpoint an answer for this. I have some users that just use OWA but don't long into a computer on my network. I created a AD and email account for them. If they log into OWA and try to change the default password I gave them, they get "The password supplied does not meet the minimum security requirements. Please contact technical support for your organization if you need help". I know for a fact that they do meet the required settings. I'm the network admin. I just can't seem to figure out why this is happening. Is this something I have set wrong or something with OWA? I don't remember this happening before. Any help on this would be great! Thank you.
Post #: 1
RE: Can't change password using OWA? - 15.Mar.2011 9:38:34 AM   
leederbyshire

If your OWA is on a member server, then you might find that the server has its own complexity requirements that are different to your domain ones. I know that the domain ones ought to take precedence, but I have definitely seen situations in the past where the member server's requirements do.

It might also be the case that your users are trying to change the password too soon (you can configure a minimum password lifetime, as well as a maximum). This is often overlooked when all the obvious things like having mixed characters and numbers and punctuation marks, and minimum length, have been considered.

Lee.

Outlook Web Access for PDA and WAP:
www.leederbyshire.com

(in reply to Tony414)
Post #: 2
RE: Can't change password using OWA? - 15.Mar.2011 10:10:20 AM   
Tony414

Hi Lee,
Thanks for getting back to me. My Exchange 2007 is on a Windows server 2008 which is part of my domain. So I'm pretty sure it's getting the group policy from there. So I went onto the 2008 server and looked at the Local Security Policy\Account Policy\Security. Here is what it is set to:
Policy Security Setting
Enforce password history 1 passwords remembered
Maximum password age 60 days
Minimum password age 1 days
Minimum password length 6 characters
Password must meet complexity requirements Enabled
Store passwords using reversible encryption Enabled

I have played around with these settings from info I saw on other post, but that didn't work. I'm at a loose...

(in reply to leederbyshire)
Post #: 3
RE: Can't change password using OWA? - 15.Mar.2011 10:27:12 AM   
leederbyshire

I would first try to work out which kind of setting is causing the problem - a complexity-related one, or a time-related one (unfortunately, you get the same error message for both). Try to change the password to something you will be 100% sure meets the complexity requirements (i.e. !Q"W3e4r!"34QWer - you know the sort of thing). If you get an error message for that, then it is surely one of the time or re-use restrictions.

Lee.

Outlook Web Access for PDA and WAP:
www.leederbyshire.com

(in reply to Tony414)
Post #: 4
RE: Can't change password using OWA? - 15.Mar.2011 10:34:07 AM   
Tony414

I actually disabled all that and still had the same issue. Should I be waiting longer after I update the group policy? I also tried to enter a complex password like you mentioned and that didn't do it either.

Post #: 5
RE: Can't change password using OWA? - 15.Mar.2011 11:05:25 AM   
leederbyshire

Is the IIS server in question a DC?

(in reply to Tony414)
Post #: 6
RE: Can't change password using OWA? - 15.Mar.2011 11:12:50 AM   
Tony414

Do you mean the one that has Exchange on it? If so, yes it is.

Post #: 7
RE: Can't change password using OWA? - 15.Mar.2011 11:24:48 AM   
leederbyshire

The one you have OWA on. I notice your earlier post mentioned the Local Security Policy applet. I don't have Win2003 server any more, but I thought you only saw that on member servers. Anyway, can you find the item named Domain Controller Security Policy? It will be on your DC. You should also be looking in there.

(in reply to Tony414)
Post #: 8
RE: Can't change password using OWA? - 15.Mar.2011 11:26:50 AM   
Tony414

Sorry for the confusion. Yes, I made the change there and then looked on the Exchange server to see if the settings took place. Either way I still get this,
"The password supplied does not meet the minimum security requirements. Please contact technical support for your organization if you need help"

Post #: 9
RE: Can't change password using OWA? - 15.Mar.2011 11:36:54 AM   
leederbyshire

Do all your users have this problem, or just this one?

(in reply to Tony414)
Post #: 10
RE: Can't change password using OWA? - 15.Mar.2011 11:42:37 AM   
Tony414

I'm not 100% sure of this. I first noticed it when I created a new user. Then I logged in with my credentials and the same thing is happening. And I am the domain admin.

Post #: 11
RE: Can't change password using OWA? - 15.Mar.2011 11:45:57 AM   
leederbyshire

It isn't something from the AD settings like 'The user cannot change the password' is it? I only mention that because you may have selected that option because it's a shared account.

(in reply to Tony414)
Post #: 12

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Outlook Web Access >> Can't change password using OWA? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter