• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Whats the best way to connect Blackberrys and iphones to exchange

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Whats the best way to connect Blackberrys and iphones to exchange Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Whats the best way to connect Blackberrys and iphones t... - 31.Mar.2011 9:10:05 AM   
dave_reap

Hi All,

I have recently setup an exchange sbs 2003 server for a user. Have owa, http rpc and all working great.

He wants himself and his employees to able to use their blackberrys
and iphones to check email from the exchange box.

I have a self signed ssl certificate on the server. I am pretty sure this will need to be installed on the phones to allow the connection to be made...

Ive been told that I can use the "iphone configuration utility" to create a setup file containing the ssl cert from the server. Upload the setup file to the iphone and this will work.

I was in the process of setting up blackberry enterprise server express (free cut down version of the full product) until i found out that he was using iphones aswell. So I absondoned this route.

Can anyone tell me the best way to connect a bunch of iphones / blackberrys to the server to check email?

Thanks in advance,
Dave
Post #: 1
RE: Whats the best way to connect Blackberrys and iphon... - 31.Mar.2011 9:14:26 AM   
mark@mvps.org

The best way with a BlackBerry is a BES. Check the RIM website for your options because I suspect that since you have SBS you're just going to need the solution down from a BES, which is actually freeware.

For iPhones you would want Activesync. Do some research on the Microsoft Exchange website to connect and configure. iPhones, Windows Phones and Androids all use the same protocol (ActiceSync (TCP 443)). Only BlackBerry's need additional software and somewhat more complicated connectivity.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to dave_reap)
Post #: 2
RE: Whats the best way to connect Blackberrys and iphon... - 31.Mar.2011 9:21:24 AM   
dave_reap

Thanks for the quick reply..

So in essence im going to have to install both sets of software.

I was hoping to use one software solution but if this is what it takes so be it.

I have BES express sitting here so ill throw it onto our server here and have another look at it.

Thanks Again,
Dave

(in reply to dave_reap)
Post #: 3
RE: Whats the best way to connect Blackberrys and iphon... - 31.Mar.2011 9:27:44 AM   
mark@mvps.org

The beauty of activesync is that you don't need any more software. It's all within Exchange already. If you are using OWA you'll likely find that you have practically nothing additional to do.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to dave_reap)
Post #: 4
RE: Whats the best way to connect Blackberrys and iphon... - 31.Mar.2011 10:12:27 AM   
dave_reap

Sorry one more question...

Thanks for all the help but is it true that you MUST use a purchased ssl certificate from a trusted authority like i seem to be reading on the majority of guides ive seen?

is my self signed one not good enough if i transfer it onto the iphone using the iphone config utiliy

< Message edited by dave_reap -- 31.Mar.2011 10:21:20 AM >

(in reply to dave_reap)
Post #: 5
RE: Whats the best way to connect Blackberrys and iphon... - 31.Mar.2011 10:13:30 AM   
majlg

Don't do it.
we have iphones and blackberrys connected to exchange2003.
the iphones are very expensive (up to 2000/month roaming) for emails
the blackberry's are quite cheap.
Manfred

(in reply to dave_reap)
Post #: 6
RE: Whats the best way to connect Blackberrys and iphon... - 4.Apr.2011 5:35:12 AM   
dave_reap

Hi Again,

Having bother getting the iphone to connect.

Having used the website https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com

I can see that its failing at "Validating certificate trust for Windows Mobile devices.
Certificate trust validation failed."

which looks like the certificate to me.

I have used the iphone config utility to transfer the self signed cert onto the device using a profile but this doesnt seem to have cured the problem.

I am now receiving a prompt for a password on the device though which is better than before.

anyone have any ideas?

Dave,

ps, I am testing this with an original first version iphone (it has all the latest updates installed... it has the exchange options in there for entry ok but can anyone actualy confirm that this is actually going to work for me :)? or is this phone no good - baring in mind im just testing it with this phone.

(in reply to majlg)
Post #: 7

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Whats the best way to connect Blackberrys and iphones to exchange Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter