• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

2010 - install nightmare

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Installation >> 2010 - install nightmare Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2010 - install nightmare - 5.Apr.2011 6:19:52 AM   
echo34

Hello all - I have a new build Exchange 2010 server with SP1. It's an DC on it's own for security and is located on the WAN side of our LAN.

What I'm trying to do (and loosing my mind trying!) is to create a public address that's different from my actual domain. I have the domain setup and forwarded to my internal IP but yet I'm having no joy.

Right - I'll try to explain this properly. MyMX records, and ISP security is handled eleswhere. I've had the correct ports and protocols opened to allow Exchange to work. This server is in addition to a Mailenable server currently running. This server will continue to run and serve the users - the EX2010 will serve new users and we will migrate across when possible.

I have had my ISP create the record exchange.myexistingdomain.co.uk ( We're a public body so our domain control is limited). This does trace back and seems to work as expected - but no OWA!  I named the new server exchange.existingdomain.co.uk to match the public address, however my new EX2010 will use the MX records of  exchange.mynewdomain.com. The MX records are for the .com address have been modified and it's working to a degree. Mail sent to user@mynewdomain.com works. I can't send successfully though and I can't access OWA externally.

I will eventually want EX2010 handling all mail from existingdomain.co.uk and mynewdomain.com but for now I need Mailenable to continue to handle existingdomain.co.uk.

My queries (if you're still reading any some of that makes any sense!) is....

Can I have my new EX2010 server having an external address that is different to it's domain name?

Any clues why external access doesn't work? localhost works well and v v fast but just not externally.

Thanks everyone!

Echo34

(Edit to change typo)

< Message edited by echo34 -- 5.Apr.2011 6:33:31 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: 2010 - install nightmare - 11.Apr.2011 1:48:23 AM   
Paul Cunningham

Can it have an external address different to its domain name? Yes.

Where to start if external access is not working? Here.
https://testexchangeconnectivity.com/

Paul Cunningham
Exchange Server MVP

Exchange 2010 Training

(in reply to echo34)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Installation >> 2010 - install nightmare Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter