• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Message tracking misleading?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> Message tracking misleading? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Message tracking misleading? - 16.Apr.2011 10:19:17 PM   
ElementalWindX

I have a issue with an exchange 2007 server on sbs 2008 where they are receiving email from a client and 3 people should be getting this email. Message tracking shows it being received and delivered to all 3 people as shown in the attached pic. But the "racha" user in this pic is not getting the emails. The newest email I find from the sender is dated 4/1/11 and message tracking shows that there should be emails dated from 4/11/11-4/15/11 and they are not in that users inbox.

We do not have any spam filters that I am aware of on these computers. We do have kaspersky clients installed on the computers. Could this some how be affecting this? What else could be preventing the user from seeing these emails that are so called "delivered?"

Thanks!

IMAGE LINK: http://www.ipmcomputers.com/Untitled-1.jpg
Post #: 1
RE: Message tracking misleading? - 16.Apr.2011 10:50:51 PM   
RustyShackleford

Put on your Magnum PI hat and start looking at the client.  If the client is using Outlook there are quite a few places to start looking at:
1)  Inbox rules that are automatically moving items (common one)
2)  Outlook view filters (this always gets me)
3)  Outlook connections (active / cached).  For testing be sure your clients are not using cached mode.
4)  Local anti-spam filters.  Disable this no matter what.  Allow Exchange server anti-spam filters to do all the work.  Client side filters can either corrupt your database or consume too many resources.
5) confirm that Outlook does not send new messages to PSTs
6)  disable any syncing type software to be sure that is not moving / deleting messages.

If you are convinced that all client side settings are okay, continue message tracking but track against your mailbox store for submitted messages.

Let us know what you find out.

Peace

(in reply to ElementalWindX)
Post #: 2
RE: Message tracking misleading? - 16.Apr.2011 11:38:28 PM   
ElementalWindX

How does view filters keep an email from appearing in the client? She is using Outlook 2007.
Cached mode has been off since the beginning
Kaspersky anti spam is marked as disabled and I'm in the process from removing this horrid anti virus from all the computers anyways and switching to microsofts anti virus software.

How do I do #5?

We have blackberry exchange server free edition setup only for this user, but its not just this user having the problem. She is just one of them.

quote:

ORIGINAL: RustyShackleford

Put on your Magnum PI hat and start looking at the client.  If the client is using Outlook there are quite a few places to start looking at:
1)  Inbox rules that are automatically moving items (common one)
2)  Outlook view filters (this always gets me)
3)  Outlook connections (active / cached).  For testing be sure your clients are not using cached mode.
4)  Local anti-spam filters.  Disable this no matter what.  Allow Exchange server anti-spam filters to do all the work.  Client side filters can either corrupt your database or consume too many resources.
5) confirm that Outlook does not send new messages to PSTs
6)  disable any syncing type software to be sure that is not moving / deleting messages.

If you are convinced that all client side settings are okay, continue message tracking but track against your mailbox store for submitted messages.

Let us know what you find out.

Peace

(in reply to RustyShackleford)
Post #: 3
RE: Message tracking misleading? - 17.Apr.2011 4:00:30 AM   
RustyShackleford

It's Saturday night and we are posting on Exchange issues. Can't we find something better to do? :)

View filters can alter the way messages appear on the client. Examples are show by conversation, only new messages, grouping by conversation, etc. I had a teammate contact me before and said his messages were disappearing form the Exchange server. Further investigation brought attention to the fact that he filtered messages to display only read messages so this new / unread messages were not being displayed.

Step #5. I only have OL 2010 so you need to research OL 2007. Outlook 2010 > Account Settings -> look for "Selected account delivers new messages to the following location" Be this points to a mailbox and not a local file.

I should have mentioned this before but have your user test in OWA and see if the messages appear there. If the messages appear in OWA and not on Outlook then you definitely know where to look.

Keep us posted.

Post #: 4
RE: Message tracking misleading? - 18.Apr.2011 10:19:48 AM   
mats

The other 2 recipients do receive the mail correctly?
I ran into such troubles a few timer - it was always a local problem at/in the mail client and not the server...

An actual one: a special mail doesn't show up in a recipient's MB, no NDRs etc. - Message tracking said it was deliverd. The message was marked as SPAM by the local Outlook client and the rule was set to "Permanently delte message". I found the message in the Retention Store (Junk Mail Folder --> Restore deleted items).

Keep us up to date please!
Regards,
Michael

(in reply to RustyShackleford)
Post #: 5
RE: Message tracking misleading? - 18.Apr.2011 12:47:03 PM   
ElementalWindX

Outlook client says I have no retention policy setup when I view the junk folder. But on the server it shows 14 and 30 days in the settings for that database. Not sure why?

So I could not finding anything with that method

Also this setup is using the pop3 connector to download the email from godaddys email hosting service. One other thing they brought to my attention was that if the user logs into the godaddy webmail and reads an email, when the pop3 connector goes to download all their email, it will not deliver the "read on godaddy" emails. Any idea why that happens?

quote:

ORIGINAL: mats

The other 2 recipients do receive the mail correctly?
I ran into such troubles a few timer - it was always a local problem at/in the mail client and not the server...

An actual one: a special mail doesn't show up in a recipient's MB, no NDRs etc. - Message tracking said it was deliverd. The message was marked as SPAM by the local Outlook client and the rule was set to "Permanently delte message". I found the message in the Retention Store (Junk Mail Folder --> Restore deleted items).

Keep us up to date please!
Regards,
Michael

< Message edited by ElementalWindX -- 18.Apr.2011 12:49:57 PM >

(in reply to mats)
Post #: 6
RE: Message tracking misleading? - 19.Apr.2011 8:31:35 AM   
sai_prasad

Check if the users machine has "Blackberry Desktop Re-Director", if yes..then thats the culprit.

Regards,

Sai Prasad
MCP | MCSA-Messaging | MCSE 2003,2008 | MCTS - 2007, 2010 | MCITP
Support Professional

Post #: 7
RE: Message tracking misleading? - 19.Apr.2011 8:43:51 AM   
ElementalWindX

quote:

ORIGINAL: sai_prasad

Check if the users machine has "Blackberry Desktop Re-Director", if yes..then thats the culprit.

It does not

(in reply to sai_prasad)
Post #: 8
RE: Message tracking misleading? - 19.Apr.2011 8:58:15 AM   
mats

POP connector? You mean you use a third party software for downloading the POP mail? As far as I know the exchange 2007 does not have the POP connector out of the box anymore...
I would tipp on a setting in this software that leaves already read mail on the server, I never experienced this issue though.

The affected mailbox is for sure in the mailbox database that has retention enabled on it?

Post #: 9
RE: Message tracking misleading? - 19.Apr.2011 12:13:21 PM   
ElementalWindX

It still comes with a pop3 connector :)

and yes the only database on the system has retention enabled by default. Maybe not in group policy though as the client computer says its disabled.

quote:

ORIGINAL: mats

POP connector? You mean you use a third party software for downloading the POP mail? As far as I know the exchange 2007 does not have the POP connector out of the box anymore...
I would tipp on a setting in this software that leaves already read mail on the server, I never experienced this issue though.

The affected mailbox is for sure in the mailbox database that has retention enabled on it?

(in reply to mats)
Post #: 10
RE: Message tracking misleading? - 29.Apr.2011 10:05:23 PM   
RustyShackleford

What did you find out?

Post #: 11

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> Message tracking misleading? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter