• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Unread Emails marked as Read

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> General >> Unread Emails marked as Read Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Unread Emails marked as Read - 26.Apr.2011 9:40:08 AM   
SAlbertin

Hello and thank you for taking the time to read this post.

We have the following configuration:

Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition V. 6.1 Bld 7600
Running Exchange 2010 V. 14.01.0218.013

Client in question
Windows 7 Enterprise
Outlook 2010
V. 14.0.4760.1000 32 Bit

The client in question has her outlook email client open in the background. There is no preview pane set, we have turned it on and off numerous times in an attempt to resolve the issue to no avail. We have extended the options on Preview to wait X amount of minutes and still no help. During her workday emails are received and come in marked as new and unread, and within 5 minutes they are automatically marked as Read and unbolded, even if she hasn't even touched the application. The timing is different for each mail too, some change to read quicker than others. I have verified there are no rules set up. I have verified that she has the Arrange by set to Date and not conversations. Now today when she arrived and opened up her email application all of her emails she received over night were already "read". She does not use any external access to the email, she does not have a phone that gets her email either. So for whatever reason her emails are being marked read even before she gets a chance to read them. This makes for a lot of missed emails and has plagued our scheduling with her as well. Any advice or tips would be helpful and greatly appreciated. I am just shy of removing her and adding her back to the Exchange system. As I am at my wits end. Out of 34 mailboxes she is the only one experiencing this issue.

Thank you.
Post #: 1
RE: Unread Emails marked as Read - 26.Apr.2011 11:37:52 AM   
RustyShackleford

Check the user's delegates and permissions then change the users's password. Does the users have any active sync devices or a Blackberry?

What is the user's experience in OWA or using OL on another computer?

(in reply to SAlbertin)
Post #: 2
RE: Unread Emails marked as Read - 26.Apr.2011 12:06:21 PM   
SAlbertin

Rusty Shackleford (LOVE IT!)
thank you for the reply. Where would I check the permissions or delegates? Please forgive my ignorance, as I do not work very often in Exchange/Outlook. The user does not sync any devices and does not use a Blackberry or similar device for email. They do not use OWA or another computer at all.

Thank you again!

(in reply to RustyShackleford)
Post #: 3
RE: Unread Emails marked as Read - 26.Apr.2011 1:07:38 PM   
SAlbertin

A follow up, the user has told me that she did indeed use OWA from home about two months ago, but does not use it on a regular basis. Not sure if this lends any indication to a cause.

Thank you again.

(in reply to SAlbertin)
Post #: 4
RE: Unread Emails marked as Read - 26.Apr.2011 3:31:04 PM   
mark@mvps.org

Have the user close Outlook for some time. Then use OWA from her desktop to go into email and see what's been marked read, or not.
Her using OWA from home would explain it for no more than 24 hours, after which the session would have timed out. Plus you've probably also rebooted the box after a patch Tuesday or whatever.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to SAlbertin)
Post #: 5
RE: Unread Emails marked as Read - 27.Apr.2011 9:25:28 AM   
SAlbertin

Thank you both! I reset the user's password at the end of the day yesterday. The emails sent last night and this morning were there in BOLD and UNREAD. The password reset appears to have been the solution. I have since ran some updates on the Exchange box and will keep a close eye on this user's mailbox for a few days.

Thanks again, I am so glad I found this website!

(in reply to mark@mvps.org)
Post #: 6
RE: Unread Emails marked as Read - 27.Apr.2011 8:28:31 PM   
RustyShackleford

It appears that her account was compromised and someone else was reading her emails. Address that as you see fit.

(in reply to SAlbertin)
Post #: 7

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> General >> Unread Emails marked as Read Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter