• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Problems 'retiring' Exchange server from DAG

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> General >> Problems 'retiring' Exchange server from DAG Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Problems 'retiring' Exchange server from DAG - 27.Apr.2011 7:05:09 AM   
stewint

Hi
Could anyone help? We have a DAG setup, the current configuration is two Exchange Servers Exch1 & Exch2. I have setup a DAG with a W2k3 server hosting the FSW. This runs fine and has the databases hosted on the second Exchange box with the first Exchange box showing the databases as healthy under DAG tab. We are currently having problems with Exch1 throwing up errors (non Exchange related) and have decided to cut our losses and rebuild Exch1.

I swopped over all the send connectors, changed the firewall settings to reflect the Exch2 box (All mail was routed through the firewall to Exch1) both for IP and DNS. Our internal Host name was modified to reflect the Exch2 ip/names, we use TMG for our firewall. We could send mail out, and internally once making the changes. However were not receiving mail externally, once we made the changes. I thought I had made all the neccesary changes to Exchange/Firewall to provide a smooth 'switch over' but no joy.

In the end I had to bring the Exch1 back online and revert all the settings back. We don't use an MX record in our environment so I know it wasn't that. Is the problem related to the Windows Cluster in some way? The databases were already hosted on Exch2 so I don't believe a failover issue was the problem. After first bringing the Exch1 back online I initially had problems with the cluster, I resolved the problem after finding that for some reason the Exch1 box was given a lease from DHCP that was the same IP as the cluster (I had errors in the cluster management console to say I had an IP conflict).

Once removing the lease and rebooting the server this did the trick and I was able to get the cluster working again. So back to square one, I still have two Exchange boxes, one I want to get rid of and rebuild. I did have a thought that my initial problems recieving mail from outside may have been due to the recieve connectors still showing the old servers IP address. I can't check that now since I have swopped the servers over again to their original configurations.

< Message edited by stewint -- 27.Apr.2011 7:06:49 AM >

Steve Wintle
IT Manager
Post #: 1
RE: Problems 'retiring' Exchange server from DAG - 27.Apr.2011 11:02:00 PM   
Paul Cunningham

Check the default receive connector on Exch2 is configured to allow anonymous connections.

Paul Cunningham
Exchange Server MVP

Exchange 2010 Training

(in reply to stewint)
Post #: 2
RE: Problems 'retiring' Exchange server from DAG - 28.Apr.2011 7:39:22 AM   
stewint

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply, i've just checked the default recieve connector as you said and Anonymous users is not ticked, could this be the problem then?

Steve Wintle
IT Manager

(in reply to Paul Cunningham)
Post #: 3
RE: Problems 'retiring' Exchange server from DAG - 28.Apr.2011 7:43:51 AM   
Paul Cunningham

Yes. If you compare that to your other server you should find it was ticked.

For a Hub Transport server to receive unauthenticated SMTP from the internet or from other non-Exchange servers that box needs to be ticked.

Paul Cunningham
Exchange Server MVP

Exchange 2010 Training

(in reply to stewint)
Post #: 4
RE: Problems 'retiring' Exchange server from DAG - 28.Apr.2011 7:52:15 AM   
stewint

Thanks for that Paul, then it seems that could well have been my problem, in terms of my cluster, I was going to rebuild my Exch1 box after i'm satisfied that the Exch2 is sending/recieving properly.

In your experience once I bring my rebuilt Exch1 server back up again, will my DAG continue working as before?

Thanks again,

Steve.

Steve Wintle
IT Manager

(in reply to Paul Cunningham)
Post #: 5
RE: Problems 'retiring' Exchange server from DAG - 28.Apr.2011 7:54:41 AM   
Paul Cunningham

When you reinstall the server you'll need to re-add it as a DAG member.

If you were able to cleanly remove it from the DAG it should be easy. OTherwise if you weren't able to cleanly remove it from the DAG you can use this process to chop it out before you rebuild and rejoin.

http://exchangeserverpro.com/unable-remove-failed-server-dag-exchange-server-2010

Paul Cunningham
Exchange Server MVP

Exchange 2010 Training

(in reply to stewint)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> General >> Problems 'retiring' Exchange server from DAG Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter