• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Granting permission to ONLY one subfolder in an Outlook Inbox

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> Granting permission to ONLY one subfolder in an Outlook Inbox Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Granting permission to ONLY one subfolder in an Outlook... - 3.May2011 11:39:07 AM   
MarioD

Is there a way to grant another user permission to only one subfolder in an Outlook Inbox instead of the entire Inbox? As IT admins, we normally grant individuals access to another person's mailbox or Inbox, but a specific situation arose where that type of blanket permission would be excessive. So, we're looking for a way to restrict access to only one subfolder (or very few subfolders) within an Inbox. We use Outlolok 2010 & Exchange 2003.
Post #: 1
RE: Granting permission to ONLY one subfolder in an Out... - 3.May2011 1:04:57 PM   
mark@mvps.org

If I recall it's all like a tree. You need to allow the mailbox to be visible and then allow the folder to be visible. Now, you make mention of 'subfolder' so what I would do is compromise and move that folder under the root of the mailbox like the Sent Items, Deleted Items and Inbox etc. That will stop you needing to make the Inbox itself visible.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to MarioD)
Post #: 2
RE: Granting permission to ONLY one subfolder in an Out... - 3.May2011 2:10:50 PM   
uemurad

The solution you're asking about is probably something you want to rethink. The problem is that even though you can granularly assign permissions to folders, gaining access to an individual folder is an entirely different matter.

There are two ways to access a folder in a different mailbox:

One is through the "front door". Adding the mailbox to the Outlook profile and browsing down to the individual folder. I'm trying to remember if you can browse without having Full Mailbox Permissions. If not, you'll have to come up with a different plan.

The second is via Outlook's "Open other user's folder" feature. If you use that feature, you'll see that it only lists the built-in folders (Calendar, Contacts, Inbox, Journal, Notes, Tasks), probably not what you want either.

All this is my way of saying that it's a lot of administrative effort, and that perhaps there's a different way to do what you need/want.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to MarioD)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> Granting permission to ONLY one subfolder in an Outlook Inbox Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter