• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

dns configuration help

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> dns configuration help Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
dns configuration help - 23.May2011 10:40:25 AM   
daveflubyu

i am configuring my first exchange 2003 server out of my home in an effort to teach myself. my goal is to be able to configure pop, smtp, webmail, and rpc over http

i understand the exchange part of it but an struggling with my dns records.

i am working with a single Windows Server 2003 box with ports forwarded from my firewall. i have ports 25, 80, 110 and 443 forwarded out to my server and am just wondering the type (and maybe an example) of DNS entries i need to add to my zone in my godaddy account if..

domain = domain.com
server = server01
ip address = x.x.x.x

most articles that i read online talk about publishing this through an ISA server, which i do not have.
Post #: 1
RE: dns configuration help - 24.May2011 12:27:53 AM   
uemurad

You need a registered domain (e.g. yourdomain.com)
You need a publicly routable static IP address (no private addresses)

You need an "A" record that associates an FQDN (e.g. mail.yourdomain.com) to your static IP address.
You need a "PTR" record that associates your static IP address to your FQDN (reverse lookup record)
You need an "MX" record that associates the FQDN from your "A" record with a value between 0 and 255.  The value only matters if you have more than one MX record.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to daveflubyu)
Post #: 2
RE: dns configuration help - 24.May2011 10:18:04 AM   
daveflubyu

Awesome. I did what you said and can send and receive mail now. THANKS!

I am wondering about OWA though, do I need to have a seperate record for that to make it resolve??

i can access it locally by going to server.domain/exchange but don't know how to make it availble to myself over the internet.

most of the articles i read on the topic talk about using and ISA server, which i do not have.

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 3
RE: dns configuration help - 16.Dec.2011 2:02:52 AM   
onlineslots

please discuss step by step

(in reply to daveflubyu)
Post #: 4
RE: dns configuration help - 4.Jan.2012 9:34:09 AM   
stuart7791

quote:

ORIGINAL: daveflubyu

i am configuring my first exchange 2003 server out of my home in an effort to teach myself. my goal is to be able to configure pop, smtp, webmail, and rpc over http

i understand the exchange part of it but an struggling with my dns records.

i am working with a single Windows Server 2003 box with ports forwarded from my firewall. i have ports 25, 80, 110 and 443 forwarded out to my server and am just wondering the type (and maybe an example) of DNS entries i need to add to my zone in my godaddy account if..

domain = domain.com
server = server01
ip address = x.x.x.x

most articles that i read online talk about publishing this through an ISA server, which i do not have.

The ports you have forwarded should be 45 instead of port 25. Rest are fine, that could be the problem?

Jobs

Price Comparision

(in reply to daveflubyu)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> dns configuration help Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter