• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Exchange Server not handling external routing properly

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> Exchange Server not handling external routing properly Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exchange Server not handling external routing properly - 25.May2011 7:11:04 PM   
lebowitzit

I have a client who was set up with Windows SBS 2008. It was allegedly done by an MCSE, but everything was done poorly or halfway. I've been able to straighten out most of the problems, but there are lingering issues with the Exchange Server - this version of SBS came with Exchange Server 2007. I need some help fixing these - the last time I regularly administered an Exchange Server was in the late 1990s, with Exchange Server 5.0. The product has sprouted a lot of new options since then!

The Exchange Server only hosts data and routes internal mail at the moment. The client is renting office space from another company that provides the Internet connection, and they don't have the option (or maybe just not the budget) to have their own Internet service. This only matters because their landlord's Internet connection is with the local cable company, and they don't pay the extra fee for a static IP address. Without a static IP address, it's not possible (or at least not practical) to have e-mail routed directly to the Exchange Server. But it should still be possible to have the Exchange Server pull incoming e-mail from the external host, send outgoing e-mail properly and properly route internal e-mail so it doesn't travel beyond the Exchange Server. That's not happening right now.

It's a small office, with only 3 desktops and the server. Currently, the desktops' Outlook 2007 client is using two separate account setups, one for the Exchange Server, which only routes internal mail properly, and the other for their Internet mail, which is not hosted on the Exchange Server.The Outlook clients exchange internal e-mail with the Exchange Server and communicate directly with the external host for Internet mail. E-mail often bounces back because the wrong account was used to try to send it, and some destination servers bounce messages back because the cable modem is assigned a DHCP address instead of a static address.

To protect my client's privacy, let's say that their Internet domain name is CallForHelp.com, and their Exchange Server's internal domain name is LebowitzITServices.local. This means that each user has an external e-mail address like mlebowitz@CallForHelp.com and an internal address of mlebowitz@LebowitzITServices.local. Both are listed in each user's entry in the Exchange Server user directory.

I want to completely redo the e-mail handling on the Exchange Server so that the Outlook clients depend on the Exchange Server for all e-mail routing. The Exchange Server should be able to determine what messages are internal and which are Internet-bound and route them properly. It should also be able to poll the external mail host for incoming mail and deliver it to the proper mailboxes.

I already know the POP and SMTP addresses of the external mail server, the IP address that the MX records for the client's mail domain point to and the logon credentials for each Internet mail address and the SMTP server.

What I need is to know, step by step, how to set up the Exchange Server to properly identify and route internal e-mail, retrieve e-mail from the external Internet mail host and deliver it to the correct mailboxes, and send outbound Internet e-mail directly via the cable Internet company's gateway but with the external mail server's static IP address instead of the DHCP-assigned one from the cable company. If it's not possible to send the outbound mail directly with the external mail server's IP address, an alternative would be to send it out via the external mail host's SMTP gateway - I can get those logon credentials as well.

I can navigate the Exchange Server's management console's treeview and enter commands in the Exchange Server Management Shell with the best of them, but please don't assume that I know where each step in the process is done. For example, if a step involves changing a setting in the Management Shell, I need to be told to use the Management Shell and what command to use. If a setting involves the GUI management console, I need to know what part of the treeview to go to and what to right-click on to find the setting in question. I'm familiar with high level networking and e-mail routing protocols, but just an advanced beginner with Exchange Server 2007.

Thanks in advance!

Mark Lebowitz
Lebowitz IT Services LLC
Post #: 1

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> Exchange Server not handling external routing properly Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter