• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

If DAG standby server fails, then email stops for all

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> If DAG standby server fails, then email stops for all Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
If DAG standby server fails, then email stops for all - 3.Jun.2011 9:45:32 AM   
neeper67

I am having an issue when my standby DAG member fails it will not allow any email in or out from mailboxes on my main DAG server. But if the main DAG server fails, everything switches over and works properly.

I am thinking there is an issue with mail transport via the hub role.

Main DAG member has all roles: Hub, CAS and Mailbox
Standby DAG member also has all the roles: Hub, CAS and Mailbox

Is there something I need to configure, so if my standby server fails, then my main server will not be effected?
Post #: 1
RE: If DAG standby server fails, then email stops for all - 6.Jun.2011 9:13:43 AM   
neeper67

Should I re-post in another forum?

(in reply to neeper67)
Post #: 2
RE: If DAG standby server fails, then email stops for all - 6.Jun.2011 2:36:16 PM   
travis.sheldon

The Microsoft Mail Submission service on the MBOX servers handles the delivery to the HUB servers.

First, check that the Mail Submission service on your primary DAG member is running.

If the service is running, check to make sure the MBOX server can locate the HUB server via DNS and that you can access content (Say for instance accessing a shared folder on HUB from MBOX-Primary). Is IPv6 enabled or disabled?

It really sounds like your backup DAG member is handling the delivery of mail to the HUB servers or the HUB servers are not communicating with the primary DAG server/

(in reply to neeper67)
Post #: 3
RE: If DAG standby server fails, then email stops for all - 6.Jun.2011 3:37:38 PM   
neeper67

Thanks for replying to me!!!

I do have the Mail Submission service running on my main DAG member.
I am able to access a share on my standby DAG member from my main DAG member.

IPv6 is disabled on both DAG members.

I have an exchange 2003 server who is handeling the mail at the moment until I fully switch over. Could this be an issue? Maybe my 2003 server could be pushing mail to the webmail server? I had set up an connector so when my main DAG member fails, the standby member can get mail from my exchange 2003 server.

< Message edited by neeper67 -- 6.Jun.2011 3:40:22 PM >

(in reply to travis.sheldon)
Post #: 4
RE: If DAG standby server fails, then email stops for all - 7.Jun.2011 12:26:53 PM   
travis.sheldon

Generally if you have a 2003 server that you're migrating from, there should be a routing group and back office connector for 2003 (Not 100% sure if I'm using the correct terms.) Unless the HUB role is on the DAG members, I dont think this would be the issue.

Have you tried to manually submit the message via telnet to the primary HUB server with the backup DAG member offline?

(in reply to neeper67)
Post #: 5
RE: If DAG standby server fails, then email stops for all - 7.Jun.2011 12:50:19 PM   
neeper67

Thanks for the reply, I got it working.

I deleted all the routing group connectors within exchange 2003 via the GUI.
I then jumped on my exchange 2010 server and ran the Get-RoutingGroupconnector command in shell to see all my connectors. I noticed that there was a connector from my secondary DAG member to my exchange 2003 but not from my main DAG member to exchange 2003.

I think this meant that my seconday was routing all my mail instead of my main DAG member.

I then created a new connector from my main DAG member to the exchange 2003 server via shell using the command: New-RoutingGroupConnector

Then I was able to turn off my secondary DAG member and mail still flowed properly.

(in reply to travis.sheldon)
Post #: 6
RE: If DAG standby server fails, then email stops for all - 7.Jun.2011 4:33:08 PM   
travis.sheldon

Beautiful job, thanks for reporting the solution back!

(in reply to neeper67)
Post #: 7

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> If DAG standby server fails, then email stops for all Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter