• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

DAG - Stretched VLAN?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> DAG - Stretched VLAN? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
DAG - Stretched VLAN? - 5.Jun.2011 10:52:14 PM   
trev

I have a question relating to a 2 member DAG with a non Exchange server as a FSW. We have the option of using streched vlans for both the mapi and replication nics. I seem to remember reading somewhere that this was not recommended, something to do with the FSW, but the details are hazy!

Are there any recommendations or otherwise as to this approach?

Summary of our environment is as follows:
- Physical Site 1: Exchange 2010 Mailbox/CAS/HT
- Physical Site 1: FSW
- Physical Site 2: Exchange 2010 Mailbox/CAS/HT
- Physical Site 1 and Physical Site 2 are separate AD sites
- Each Exchange server has two nics (one mapi nic, one replication nic)
- The mapi nics on each Exchange server are currently on different subnets to one another
- The replication nics on each server are <tba>
- The FSW is on the same subnet as the Exchange server (mapi nic) in Physical Site 1

For the replication nics, I have the option of using a streched vlan. Is this recommended? Our network team is suggesting this as a recommendation for routing the data between the DAG members more efficiently.

I also have the option of a streched vlan for the mapi and fsw nics (obviously this would logically put them in the same AD site). Is this recommended?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Post #: 1
RE: DAG - Stretched VLAN? - 19.Jul.2011 4:35:43 PM   
jveldh

Hi,

As far as I can remember it's supported and you can use stretched vlan's. If you look at this example:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd638129.aspx

They also used it for the replication network.

For MAPI and FSW you can also do it but this will require a slightly different approach when you will need to do a failover. This because the default technet documentation will tell you to stop the DAG on all servers in a specific site. If you will do this you can't restore the DAG. So if choosing for this option only stop the DAG service in site 1 when performing a DR.

Don't forget to enable DAC

Regards,
Johan

Best regards,

Johan Veldhuis

Visit my Exchange blog

(in reply to trev)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> DAG - Stretched VLAN? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter