• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Trying to design a new Exchange 2010 environment

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> Trying to design a new Exchange 2010 environment Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Trying to design a new Exchange 2010 environment - 21.Jun.2011 8:21:26 AM   
xpac

I have been tasked with upgrading our Exchange environment from Exchange 2003 to 2010. From my research, we will be running Exchange 2010 Enterprise, and have four sites ( site offices) that will need Exchange servers - 3 of them are on the East coast and one is on the West coast - in addition we'll need two other servers in central offices one on the east coast and one on the West coast that will replicate to each. Basically I want the site offices on the East coast to be able to replicate with each other and the East coast central office server, and the West coast site office to replicate with the West coast central office. And lastly want the East and West coast central offices to replicate with each other - this is due to the lower bandwidth availability between site offices, as opposed to the much higher bandwidth availability between the central offices.

We have no need for an Edge Transport server role, so I expect each office's Exchange server will need to run mailbox server, client access, and hub transport role. Does this make sense and is it possible for to configure the East Coast site offices to replicate amongst each other and the East Coast central office, and then have the East coast central office server replicate with the West coast central office server? Any helpful links? I've been researching for about a week now, and I'm being inundated with material so I'm trying to sort through and find something that resembles what we're trying to do, or rather somebody that has implemented a similar architecture.

Basically we're a small company with four offices (NY, Washington DC, Alabama, and San Diego CA) that wants high availability of email, even if an office goes down for a couple of days (recently happened due to tornados in our Alabama office). We want all people in the company to still retain email service. I'm trying to figure out the smartest way to configure an Exhange 2010 environment to do this, I think I have it mostly figured out but I'm new to 2010 so I want to know if this makes sense so far and if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: Trying to design a new Exchange 2010 environment - 11.Jul.2011 4:02:31 AM   
zbnet

Why do you want to put a local email server in each of your 6 locations?  Local servers increase the local workloads for very little benefit.

Why not have your Exchange servers only in your Central offices, and have clients remotely connect to them?  Clients in cached mode work pretty well against remote hosts.  This would significantly simplify your Excange environment, yet still provide HA (because the servers are placed in your two Central offices).

(in reply to xpac)
Post #: 2
RE: Trying to design a new Exchange 2010 environment - 20.Sep.2011 2:34:44 PM   
xpac

Thanks, the more and more I think about it this answer makes a lot of sense and is the plan I'm going to go with.

(in reply to zbnet)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> Trying to design a new Exchange 2010 environment Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter