• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Move Public Folder Store to new Storage Group issues

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Public Folders >> Move Public Folder Store to new Storage Group issues Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Move Public Folder Store to new Storage Group issues - 27.Jun.2011 7:40:16 AM   
MarcoAdmin

Our exchange 2003 server was running on a SAN we are retiring. Since our mailbox stores are so large - we connected the old san and the new san to the server at the same time. Mailboxes have all been moved to the new san with no issue. So I have a new storage group on the new san - and the old storage group on the old san. I have a public folder store on the old san in the old storage group. I relocated the database to the new file location on the new san - my question is this - I need to move the PF store from the old storage group in ESM to the new one so I can delete the old storage group - that is what I cannot figure out how to do. Can someone please help me?

Thanks in advance to anyone who may reply to this - I do appreciate your time.
Post #: 1
RE: Move Public Folder Store to new Storage Group issues - 27.Jun.2011 7:51:56 AM   
mark@mvps.org

You have two options depending on your exact configuration.
If you only have the one server you need to go to the properties of the PF store and then browse to the new location. The PF's will be unavailable during the move.
You cannot "move to a new storage group". You will also need to move the log location in the same way.

If you have a new server you just make a replica and replicate all of the folders. That will take a day or two though to fully complete.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to MarcoAdmin)
Post #: 2
RE: Move Public Folder Store to new Storage Group issues - 27.Jun.2011 8:14:52 AM   
MarcoAdmin

Even though I relocated the files by changing the path on the database tab and the files are no longer in their old location - in ESM I still show the Public Folder Store in the Old Storage group - I can't delete the old storage group if the PF Store still exists under it. Moving the database location still left the PF folders listed as being int he original storage group. Do I need to bounce the server or restart exchange services to get it to reflect the change of location or must I leave the old storage group intact?Can I backup the PF store and restore it to the new storage group - or create a replica of it from one store to another on the same server and then remove the original replica?

(in reply to mark@mvps.org)
Post #: 3
RE: Move Public Folder Store to new Storage Group issues - 27.Jun.2011 9:54:58 AM   
mark@mvps.org

You are stuck as you are. That PF is stuck where it is.
And really, that's not a bad thing. I can't understand why you think you need to do what you think you want to do.
Move the database (done) and then move the log files that are owned by that storage group and you're done. You can't move a PF except by replicating it, deleting the original, creating a new PF store in a different SG and then replicating back again.
That's a lot of completely pointless administrative prettiness that you don't need.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to MarcoAdmin)
Post #: 4
RE: Move Public Folder Store to new Storage Group issues - 29.Sep.2011 6:37:23 AM   
shanmarsh1

I have successfully moved the databases to new drives. I have a new issue now. When I try to delete the old database files on the old drive they just reappear again after deleting. Any ideas on how I can finally delete these? Any help greatly appreciated.

Body Armour | Safeguard Clothing

(in reply to mark@mvps.org)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Public Folders >> Move Public Folder Store to new Storage Group issues Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter