• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

5.5.0 smtp;501 Error: attribute value too long

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> 5.5.0 smtp;501 Error: attribute value too long Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
5.5.0 smtp;501 Error: attribute value too long - 20.Jul.2011 8:40:56 AM   
eddy2364

Dear all,

Let me explain the background, we are using an Exchange 2003 SP2 server which is very stable. Since some months ago some Outlook 2010 external senders have received the above error when replying to HTML mails containing Japanese characters. If a new message is composed instead or replying and the message subject and content is pasted into the new message no NDR is generated. On the Exchange 2003 application log an event id 3022 is logged. The NDR contains the following text:

There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email server. Please contact your system administrator.
<xxxx.xxxx.local #5.5.0 smtp;501 Error: attribute value too long>

I recently installed Outlook 2010 on a PC and when I replied to a message containing Japanese characters the same error was produced. The issue is not only external but also internal.

I tried changing the format of the message from HTML to Plain or Rich text and no NDR was generated.

I am desperately searching on a solution and do not want to change the original message format from HTML. Is this a common issue or incompatibilty between Outlook 2010 and Exchange 2003 ? We will upgrade to Exchange 2010 a soon but I would like to understand this issue before. 

Why is the smtp host dropping the connection ?

Your help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Post #: 1

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> 5.5.0 smtp;501 Error: attribute value too long Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter