• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Exchange server and Active directory issues

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Installation >> Exchange server and Active directory issues Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exchange server and Active directory issues - 28.Jul.2011 9:32:06 AM   
ermanishchawla

Hello all

I am using exchange server 2010 with roles installed as follow
Server 1: Active directory server, ALL FSMO roles installed.
Server 2: Client Access Server
Server 3 & Server 4: DAG & Hub Transport
Server 5 & 6: Edge Server with Edge synchronization configured

I have couple of doubts which are as follow
1. Since we have single active directory server it is single point of failure. So to avoid this failure, I have configured one more GC in same forest. Now I intentionally powered off the server to see whether my exchange able to work on absence of my earlier active directory. But it is not working On bringing up the first only my owa is able to get mailbox. What needs to be done to make it work ?? Please suggest
2. Few days back suddenly on one of the edge MSExchangeTransport service had some issues and was not restarting after a reboot. So what happened all the mails sent by hub transport server were not able to pass through and also since one of edge is being pointed as one of our mx record also hence no mails were coming also from that server, however other server was working fine. Now Is it possible to send mails to both edge server so that if one of them fails mails will not get stuck.. I dont mind duplicates mails reaching to our recipients.
Post #: 1
RE: Exchange server and Active directory issues - 28.Jul.2011 1:42:55 PM   
travis.sheldon

1. I believe Exchange and any authentication requests go through the PDC FSMO role..so if your primary DC holds the PDC FSMO role and you offline the server, you won't be able to authenticate. AFAIK if your PDC holder fails, you would have to seize the role on another server.

2. You can do a round robin method for inbound mail. You would have an MX record with 2 A host records instead of 1.. the first record with the lower weight will be your primary edge server and the second record will be your backup edge server. As far as outbound mail, you need to modify the send connector (Site-Name to Internet) and add the second edge server to the Source server list.

(in reply to ermanishchawla)
Post #: 2
RE: Exchange server and Active directory issues - 28.Jul.2011 1:49:20 PM   
ermanishchawla

Dear Sir
1. In event of failure of primary AD server, how to restore back all exchange services as exchange is totally dependent on AD

2. We have done round robin @ DNS level already but that will not solve problem as first mail with go to first mx and second will go to second mx and now if my first mx server is having issue what i had.. first mail is not reached and ours is mission critical environment and mails if not received cause lots of problems
Also second edge server is added in source then also it is going to one of them only

< Message edited by ermanishchawla -- 28.Jul.2011 1:52:33 PM >

(in reply to travis.sheldon)
Post #: 3
RE: Exchange server and Active directory issues - 28.Jul.2011 1:56:16 PM   
travis.sheldon

If you're not familiar with FSMO roles I'd suggest reading up on their purpose and how to move them. Without knowing your environment I do not feel comfortable speaking 'authoritatively' on what you would have to do.

If you properly setup round robin it would work properly..I use it on networks with 2-5 delivery end points.

Lets say you have the third level MX inbound.domain.com that you're using for delivery. You would set the MX record for domain.com to point to inbound.domain.com

The MX record inbound.domain.com would have at least 2 A host records added.
Record 1 would be the IP address for server 5 (Edge1) with a weight of 0
Record 2 would be the IP address for server 6 (Edge2) with a weight of 10

With a round robin setup, servers on the internet sending you mail will look up your MX for domain.com and will return inbound.domain.com, which returns your two Edge server records in a random order..but since edge1 will have a lower weight, it'll be used as the primary server for mail delivery. If the edge1 server goes offline, then sending MTAs will automatically switch to your second record, edge2

quote:

ORIGINAL: ermanishchawla

Dear Sir
1. In event of failure of primary AD server, how to restore back all exchange services as exchange is totally dependent on AD

2. We have done round robin @ DNS level already but that will not solve problem as first mail with go to first mx and second will go to second mx and now if my first mx server is having issue what i had.. first mail is not reached and ours is mission critical environment and mails if not received cause lots of problems

Post #: 4
RE: Exchange server and Active directory issues - 28.Jul.2011 2:20:25 PM   
ermanishchawla

1. Sir I am aware of all FSMO roles and procedure to transfer and seize also. I just wanted to know if some other way is there like in DAG if i  bring down one server, users are not affected, but if i bring down AD, i need to seize and during that users will be affected

2. I feel that you are not getting my problem I will tell you exact scenario.. mails are coming in round-robin fashion. Let say user has sent a mail, edgeserver1 has received that mail, now what happened exactly there is lost of connectivity between edgeserver1 and hub transport server after receipt of mail and before delivery to user's mailbox. Now mail is received but not delivered to user, so its an issue.
But my question was not about receiving mails, my question was about sending mails to both edgeserver together. consider a case hub transport sent a mail to edgeserver1 and edgeserver being on different ISP lost its network connectivity. But edgeserver2 which is on different ISP has connectivity but no mails. In such scenario what needs to be done, i wanted to know

Thanks & Regards

Post #: 5
RE: Exchange server and Active directory issues - 28.Jul.2011 2:28:58 PM   
travis.sheldon

1. As far as I know, no..there can only be one PDC and I believe all authentication requests go through it. I'm not aware of any way to make AD/Auth with Exchange redundant and has been one of the questions I've never found a solution to. I believe seizing roles would be the only route. I think you would have to have another AD Site with it's own namespace to do some form of redundancy.

2. I believe the Shadow Redundancy takes care of the scenario you're presenting: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd351027.aspx

Post #: 6
RE: Exchange server and Active directory issues - 28.Jul.2011 2:44:31 PM   
ermanishchawla

Thanks sir for your time & patience

I would appreciate your effort.

Post #: 7

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Installation >> Exchange server and Active directory issues Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter