• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Exchange Logs not truncating after full backup

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> Exchange Logs not truncating after full backup Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exchange Logs not truncating after full backup - 4.Aug.2011 4:25:12 AM   
lunthrasher

Hi,

We have a 2 node DAG setup across a WAN:
Primary Site: CAS1 and MBX1
Secondary Site: CAS2 and MBX2

We are using Netapp Snapmanager for Exchange for mailbox backups. The backups complete successfully, BUT on the mbx running the backup in the eventvwr it says Even ID 225. No logs will be truncated. Heading over to the mbx2 server in the secondary site, I look through eventvwr and see the following.

Unable to communicate with the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service to coordinate log truncation for database 'Mailbox Store 1\MBX2' due to an RPC communication failure. Error: 1727
Extended error: 0

I've spent 2 days on the phone with MS support and they are still researching it, so full points if someone has a resolution faster then the guys i'm working with :)
Post #: 1
RE: Exchange Logs not truncating after full backup - 4.Aug.2011 7:13:33 AM   
turbomcp

just a thought to isolate the problem:
1.did you try windows backup and see if that backups and truncate the logs?(once on active once on passive ,again to isolate the problem)
2.also check the bad/ignore log folder for corrupted logs (that can also cause logs not to truncate at the end untill they are emoved)
3.are the logs and db on same lun?(if so then hardware vss wont work right,wont be able to truncate logs)
4.check netapp settings ,maybe its doing some kind of copy instead of full/incr(that will also cause that event but no truncation)
i am guessing netapp "bug":) because netapp should notify exchange to truncate log at the end.

< Message edited by turbomcp -- 4.Aug.2011 7:16:15 AM >

(in reply to lunthrasher)
Post #: 2
RE: Exchange Logs not truncating after full backup - 4.Aug.2011 8:55:41 AM   
lunthrasher

Hey Turbomcp,
1. No haven't tried windows backup. When I backup a database that is not replicated in the DAG the logs get truncated succesfully. It's just any database with a DAG copy.
2. I created a brand new database with 1 user, send 2 emails with a few mb attachments and then ran a backup. The logs didn't truncate.
3. No, db is on it's own volume/lun and logs are on it's own volume/lun. This is the same for the standalone database that we tested in step 2 above.
4. Definately doing a full backup, looking at the even logs and the sequence of events it's all happening correctly until we get the "Unable to communicate with the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service to coordinate log truncation."
Which is Event ID 2136 and source is MSExchangeRepl - This occurs on the passive node.

This is just after the backup completes from eventvwr:
Exchange VSS Writer has successfully completed the full or incremental backup of replicated database 'Mailbox Store 1'. The log files will be truncated after they have been replayed.

Replay Queue Length is 0 in EMC

(in reply to turbomcp)
Post #: 3
RE: Exchange Logs not truncating after full backup - 4.Aug.2011 9:09:15 AM   
travis.sheldon

So any DAG database does not get the logs truncated, regardless if it's passive or active to the server running the backup?

Have you tried only backing up the active copy on the server hosting it? IE, no backup of passive copies.

I wonder if you should disable the VSS writer like you have to for WSB.

Post #: 4
RE: Exchange Logs not truncating after full backup - 4.Aug.2011 1:54:21 PM   
turbomcp

good point
i wonder if that netapp is using its own provider
or using the build-in vss provider(sounds like its using it but who knows)
sounds even more like netapp bug.

(in reply to travis.sheldon)
Post #: 5
RE: Exchange Logs not truncating after full backup - 4.Aug.2011 6:02:46 PM   
lunthrasher

Yes Netapp looks like it has it's own writer

"SnapManager detected that a VSS hardware provider is installted on this computer.
Name: Data ONTAP VSS Hardware Provider" from eventvwr

Also in eventvwr

"SnapManager VSS Exchange full database backup initialization completed"

"VSS Exchange writer was successfully identified by SnapManager"

"Exchange VSS Writer has successfully prepared the database engine for a full or copy backup of database Mailbox Store 1"

"Exchange VSS Writer has frozen the database successfully"

I have not tried backing up at the passive mode only on the active node, will try now

(in reply to turbomcp)
Post #: 6
RE: Exchange Logs not truncating after full backup - 5.Aug.2011 2:06:07 AM   
lunthrasher

Ok we've tried backing up the passive, same thing. We also tried with Windows Backup and still no truncation

Post #: 7
RE: Exchange Logs not truncating after full backup - 5.Aug.2011 6:12:25 AM   
travis.sheldon

Backing up passive nodes shouldn't work natively.

Give this a shot: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-au/library/dd876851.aspx

I would also try removing WSB if you're not using it.

Post #: 8
RE: Exchange Logs not truncating after full backup - 16.Aug.2011 3:48:18 AM   
lunthrasher

Ok we finally got this resolved.

The problem was with the firewall sitting between the DAG nodes. We had all the ports that were required by DAG open, however my colleague noticed a tcp 21224 port that was getting blocked.

After allowing this port through the firewall, the DAG's were working at 100% and all log files got cleared after a successfull backup.

(in reply to travis.sheldon)
Post #: 9

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> Exchange Logs not truncating after full backup Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter