• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Moving DAG members to DR site

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> Moving DAG members to DR site Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Moving DAG members to DR site - 13.Aug.2011 4:33:42 PM   
skipdog77

Needing some quick advice. We have seeded copies of our entire mailbox infrastructure to two DAG members. We plan on shipping the servers to our DR site (hot) very soon. We have probably in the neighborhood of 1TB of email. The servers are fully seeded and healthy. I've been researching the best way to move the servers without having to re-seed the DBs (due to corruption, etc) ..

Can someone tell me if simply "Suspending" the database copies is sufficient? When they arrive and boot up, then "Resume" ? Is there a threshold on the number of days this will work before the DBs are considered corrupt and will need to re-seed the entire copy?

Thanks very much for the advice.
Skip
Post #: 1
RE: Moving DAG members to DR site - 14.Aug.2011 6:28:58 AM   
Henrik Walther

Hey Skip, check out the answer to question 2 in this Exchange Queue & A column I wrote some months ago:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/gg314976.aspx

HTH
Henrik Walther
Lead Moderator/author
MSExchange.org

Follow me on Twitter!

(in reply to skipdog77)
Post #: 2
RE: Moving DAG members to DR site - 14.Aug.2011 8:31:21 AM   
skipdog77

Henrik,

OK this seems like a good plan if we want to move the files via hard drive or USB, but we are moving half of the SAN and the servers and the systems are already "healthy" with passive copies of the database. Is the process simply - suspend the database copies. Move the servers to new location. Boot up systems. Resume database copies? We were wondering how long they will be able to resume (i.e. 1-2 days of being moved?)

Skip

(in reply to Henrik Walther)
Post #: 3
RE: Moving DAG members to DR site - 15.Aug.2011 3:51:15 PM   
Henrik Walther

Ah just re-read your original question.

Yes you should be able to suspend DB copies and then resume when they arrive at destination. There's no threshold on number of days, it depends on the size of the log LUNs...

HTH
Henrik Walther
Lead Moderator/author
MSExchange.org

Follow me on Twitter!

(in reply to skipdog77)
Post #: 4
RE: Moving DAG members to DR site - 19.Aug.2011 7:52:43 AM   
skipdog77

Henrik,

it worked perfectly! Thanks!

One other question. We understand that you can seed another copy of the database from a passive copy. The situation I have is I have two servers with complete copies of our database on each. Will these two servers always receive copies from the active copy server? Is there any way to save bandwdith by receiving one copy from the active (over WAN) and using then a passive copy to update the other passive copy? I dont think it works this way, but figured I would ask.

as it stands now, i believe both offsite passive copies receive logs from the active copies.

Skip

(in reply to Henrik Walther)
Post #: 5
RE: Moving DAG members to DR site - 17.Sep.2011 12:32:29 PM   
Henrik Walther

Sorry for the late reply Skip...

Yes they will both replicate from the active DB copy.

HTH
Henrik Walther
Lead Moderator/author
MSExchange.org

Follow me on Twitter!

(in reply to skipdog77)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> Moving DAG members to DR site Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter