Remove server from ORG that no longer exists (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation

Craig L -> Remove server from ORG that no longer exists (17.Aug.2011 2:35:36 PM)

I have an Exchange 2003 Organization that has 2 servers listed. I want to remote the ‘second’ server from the org. The server no longer exists and was supposed to have been a backup server that was never put to use. There are some options in ESM to remove the server or simply delete it. But I can’t believe it is that simple..

My real goal is upgrading to Exch2010. If having this ghost server listed is benign then this doesn't matter. Trying to get the cleanest transition to Exch2010 as possible.

John Weber -> RE: Remove server from ORG that no longer exists (17.Aug.2011 3:00:18 PM)

Carefully open ADSIEdit.
Find the server in
configuration, services, microsoft exchange, administrative groups, whatever your group is named, servers.

double check that you are in fact looking at and selecting the server you want to remove.

Delete.

Don't make a mistake, actions here are immediate and irreversible. You do have a backup of your AD, yes?

Restart the ESM.

YMMV

Craig L -> RE: Remove server from ORG that no longer exists (17.Aug.2011 3:07:15 PM)

Thanks for the fast response.

Is using ADSIedit any different than deleting the server from the ESM GUI?

I am just being overly cautious as I don't want to disturb the working Exchange 2003 server .....

John Weber -> RE: Remove server from ORG that no longer exists (17.Aug.2011 3:09:04 PM)

ADSIEdit is direct edit of AD DS.

Just make sure you have the right server selected when you delete.
How that is different from the ESM, I don't know.

I would use ADSIEdit because I *know* it works.

YMMV

Page: [1]