• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Password Prompts when rebooting CAS Array Member

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> Password Prompts when rebooting CAS Array Member Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Password Prompts when rebooting CAS Array Member - 28.Aug.2011 7:52:28 PM   
moto822

Hi All,

I know this is something that has been talked about but the answers seem to vary. I am in a situation where I have CAS members behind a variety of Load Balancers (Cisco, Kemp, WNLB) and whenever a CAS member is rebooted the clients are seeing popups. I have verified this with both Outlook 2007/2010 in online mode and cached mode. A simple fix for this is to close and re-launch the client. I am in the hunt for the correct client behavior. I have built two labs, one with WNLB and one with Kemp. Currently what I have is this:

2 CAS servers with Exchange 2010 SP 1 Rollup 3
1 MBX server with Exchange 2010 SP 1 Rollup 3
2 clients one with 2007 outlook and 1 with 2010 outlook

Kemp VLB with the latest firmware (I forget off the top of my head)

What I am seeing is I ONLY see the popup when the clients are connected to my CAS 1. When I reboot CAS 1 the client shows popup, when CAS 1 comes back online I then reboot CAS 2 and the client fails over as expected.

This started me down the path to think that my clients were looking up SCP and pulling CAS 1 and failing due to it being offline. I have checked and double checked that my –internalautodiscoveruri is set to my CAS Array FQDN.

I have also found an article that states to ensure the RPC Reg key is set in the Local Users Reg files. I have set this with no change.

Anyone who could shed some light on this it would be great. I am in the process of setting up wireshark to see the difference in packets from CAS 1 to CAS 2.

Kindly
moto822
Post #: 1
RE: Password Prompts when rebooting CAS Array Member - 1.Apr.2012 12:36:01 AM   
themaster1700

Our setup for Exchange 2010/Outlook 2010

2 X CAS
2 X Hubs
2 X DBS
2 Kemp load balancers

All virtulised on VMware

Everything works great execpt that the CAS array will not Fail over, any client connected to the CAS server I reboot instantly gets prompted for a username and password, I read lots of docs and looks like the Kerberos authentication with shared computer account was supposed to fix this but in our case it does not. We are testing in connected and cached mode, different VLans but seems to make no difference.

Any help/suggestions welcome

(in reply to moto822)
Post #: 2
RE: Password Prompts when rebooting CAS Array Member - 3.Jun.2012 4:03:13 PM   
themaster1700

Spent about 3-4 days on this with Microsoft, turns out CAS failover is not supposed to happen for a failed server even though 1 version of Outlook will fail over, "this is be design", thats what I got back from the MS Exchange design team

(in reply to themaster1700)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> Password Prompts when rebooting CAS Array Member Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter