• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Cannot share calendar, global address book not updating

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Management >> Cannot share calendar, global address book not updating Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cannot share calendar, global address book not updating - 30.Aug.2011 1:11:29 PM   
hymebundi

So here is the scoop. Recently we upgraded from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010. For the most part, emails are coming and going and things run smoothly. There are some hiccups though. Users using Outlook 2010 cannot share their calendars using the Outlook client. They receive the following error: "Error while preparing to send sharing message." In addition, users are not getting their global address books updated. The only way I have found to update the address book is to delete their Outlook profile and re-add it. If we attempt to go to send/receive and download the offline address book we get: "The operation failed. An object cannot be found." If a user logs into the OWA client, then they have full access to sharing calendars and the global address book. We have checked to make sure that auto-discovery is active and as far as two limited knowledge IT admins can tell, everything is configured correctly, although auto-discovery fails when running the tests.

Now the real dilemma: I have very little working knowledge of Exchange and will need very specific instructions if you decide to reply to this post. Thanks in advance for any help.
Post #: 1
RE: Cannot share calendar, global address book not upda... - 30.Aug.2011 5:13:33 PM   
travis.sheldon

I believe it's with autodiscover and since you said that autodiscover failed testing, I'm more inclined to lean towards it being that autodiscover isn't being contacted.

Please provide a bit of detail of how everything is laid out..

1) Are the users on site with the Exchange server / have direct ties to active directory?
2) How was autodiscover setup and how did you test it? You can get the information via Exchange Shell,
get-autodiscovervirtualdirectory | fl

I would suggest running a test @ testexchangeconnectivity.com and provide the results here

(in reply to hymebundi)
Post #: 2
RE: Cannot share calendar, global address book not upda... - 30.Aug.2011 6:19:13 PM   
hymebundi

So here are the results from the online testing tool (sorry for the plain text):
Attempting the Autodiscover and Exchange ActiveSync test (if requested).
Testing of Autodiscover for Exchange ActiveSync failed.
Test Steps
Attempting each method of contacting the Autodiscover service.
The Autodiscover service couldn't be contacted successfully by any method.
Test Steps
Attempting to test potential Autodiscover URL https://[servername]/AutoDiscover/AutoDiscover.xml
Testing of this potential Autodiscover URL failed.
Test Steps
Attempting to resolve the host name [servername] in DNS.
The host name resolved successfully.
Additional Details
IP addresses returned: 208.XXX.XX.XXX
Testing TCP port 443 on host [servername] to ensure it's listening and open.
The port was opened successfully.
Testing the SSL certificate to make sure it's valid.
The SSL certificate failed one or more certificate validation checks.
Test Steps
ExRCA is attempting to obtain the SSL certificate from remote server [servername] on port 443.
ExRCA wasn't able to obtain the remote SSL certificate.
Additional Details
The certificate couldn't be validated because SSL negotiation wasn't successful. This could have occurred as a result of a network error or because of a problem with the certificate installation.
Attempting to test potential Autodiscover URL https://autodiscover.[servername]/AutoDiscover/AutoDiscover.xml
Testing of this potential Autodiscover URL failed.
Test Steps
Attempting to resolve the host name autodiscover.[servername] in DNS.
The host name couldn't be resolved.
 Tell me more about this issue and how to resolve it
Additional Details
Host autodiscover.[servername] couldn't be resolved in DNS InfoDomainNonexistent.
Attempting to contact the Autodiscover service using the HTTP redirect method.
The attempt to contact Autodiscover using the HTTP Redirect method failed.
Test Steps
Attempting to resolve the host name autodiscover.[servername] in DNS.
The host name couldn't be resolved.
Additional Details
Host autodiscover.[servername] couldn't be resolved in DNS InfoDomainNonexistent.
Attempting to contact the Autodiscover service using the DNS SRV redirect method.
ExRCA failed to contact the Autodiscover service using the DNS SRV redirect method.
Test Steps
Attempting to locate SRV record _autodiscover._tcp.[servername] in DNS.
The Autodiscover SRV record wasn't found in DNS.

when I run the get-autodiscovervirtualdirecotory | fl there is a lot of info.Just to give some further details, when attempting to set OOO we get the following message: "Your automatic reply settings cannot be displayed because the server is currently unavailable."

< Message edited by hymebundi -- 30.Aug.2011 6:24:09 PM >

(in reply to travis.sheldon)
Post #: 3
RE: Cannot share calendar, global address book not upda... - 31.Aug.2011 10:34:02 AM   
travis.sheldon

What kind of certificate is being used on Exchange & IIS? Is it self signed or third party?

(in reply to hymebundi)
Post #: 4
RE: Cannot share calendar, global address book not upda... - 31.Aug.2011 3:17:04 PM   
hymebundi

Third party.

(in reply to travis.sheldon)
Post #: 5
RE: Cannot share calendar, global address book not upda... - 2.Sep.2011 2:24:17 PM   
travis.sheldon

Well I think your best bet is to create an external DNS A host record to point at the exchange server

Hostname: autodiscover
Destination: mail.yourdomain.com (or whatever FQDN you use)

This way you'll be able to accurately test testexchangeconnectivity.com

(in reply to hymebundi)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Management >> Cannot share calendar, global address book not updating Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter