• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Users not showing in Global Address List

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> General >> Users not showing in Global Address List Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Users not showing in Global Address List - 6.Sep.2011 5:31:36 PM   
macnmore

I have 2 new mailboxes that are not showing up in the GAL. These accounts were created about 2 weeks ago. We have created other accounts that show up no problem. I've made sure they Hide from GAL is not checked. If I take myself out of Cached mode in Outlook, these accounts show up. When I re-enable cached mode, they are gone again. Is there an easy solution for this? We are running Exchange 2007 with Outlook 2007 and/or Outlook 2010.
Post #: 1
RE: Users not showing in Global Address List - 6.Sep.2011 6:24:29 PM   
Gulab

Check the attribute "showinaddressbook" in adsiedit on the Mailbox.
Post the update

Gulab Prasad,
Technology Consultant
Exchange Ranger
Check out CodeTwo’s tools for Exchange admins

(in reply to macnmore)
Post #: 2
RE: Users not showing in Global Address List - 7.Sep.2011 9:12:40 AM   
macnmore

Not sure what is supposed to be there, but it appears to be fully populated. CN=Global Address List,CN=All Global Address List,CN=Address List Container, and so on. The only difference I noticed was under the Security tab under her Properties...the authenticated users had not settings and when I compared this to mine, mine had Read-Allow access. Should this matter?

(in reply to Gulab)
Post #: 3
RE: Users not showing in Global Address List - 7.Sep.2011 9:34:52 AM   
Gulab

You will have check it on the users not in the GAL
It would be in Domain partition not Configuration partition.

Gulab Prasad,
Technology Consultant
Exchange Ranger
Check out CodeTwo’s tools for Exchange admins

(in reply to macnmore)
Post #: 4
RE: Users not showing in Global Address List - 7.Sep.2011 9:49:35 AM   
de.blackman

quote:

If I take myself out of Cached mode in Outlook, these accounts show up. When I re-enable cached mode, they are gone again

If they appear in the GAL when you are in online mode, that tells me the problem is not the GAL but instead the offline address book OR your client! Can you regenerate the OAB and see if any errors turn up (I would recommend to turn up diagnostic logging on the OAB generation task). Also try to fully download the OAB on your client once it has been generated. Do all your users experience the same issue when they are in cached mode?

Ibrahim Benna - Microsoft Exchange MVP
Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

(in reply to Gulab)
Post #: 5
RE: Users not showing in Global Address List - 7.Sep.2011 11:28:52 AM   
macnmore

I'm a little confused de.blackman. If my Outlook client is in Cached Mode, I do NOT see any of the new users. If I take my Outlook client out of Cached Mode and download the address book, I do see them...until I put my Outlook client back into Cached Mode. Another tech in my office is having a similar issue, but when he takes it out of Cached mode, downloads the address book, and puts it back in to Cached mode, he DOES still see the new users. All other users I've checked have had the same experience I have. When you say regenerate the OAB, are you referring to downloading it or is there something else I need to do.
Gulad, what I posted earlier was from a user not showing up in the GAL. I compared hers to mine is what I was saying, since I do show up in the GAL. What are you talking about "It would be in Domain partition not Configuration partition"?

(in reply to de.blackman)
Post #: 6
RE: Users not showing in Global Address List - 7.Sep.2011 11:54:31 AM   
de.blackman

quote:

If my Outlook client is in Cached Mode, I do NOT see any of the new users. If I take my Outlook client out of Cached Mode and download the address book, I do see them

Actually, you are very confused macnmore! You cannot download the OAB when you are in online mode (not in cached mode)!

When you are in cached mode, Outlook keeps a local copy of the GAL and it is called the offline address book - essentially, the OAB is "cached" on your local machine along with all contents of your mailbox so that if you are to get disconnected from Exchange, you can still continue reading and writing emails. The cached copy of the OAB is downloaded once in 24 hrs from the server but if the server does not generate the OAB properly then you will not get the latest details.

When you are in online mode, it simply means you are directly connected to Exchange and you are viewing everything directly from the server and nothing is stored locally on your machine.

You need to update the OAB directly from the server (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997684(EXCHG.80).aspx). Make sure you increase diagnostic logging on the server for this process so you can see why these users do not show up!

Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

(in reply to macnmore)
Post #: 7
RE: Users not showing in Global Address List - 7.Sep.2011 4:08:01 PM   
macnmore

It looks like the manual update may have fixed the problem. It's working on my client as well as 1 other I checked. This leads me to the question of why did I have to do the manual update to get the mailboxes populated in the GAL?

Post #: 8
RE: Users not showing in Global Address List - 8.Sep.2011 9:22:12 AM   
de.blackman

It seems you did not follow my instructions as recommended. As i had stated in the last line of my last post, make sure to increase the diagnostic logging so that you can see errors\warnings as to why they did not show up!

Glad to hear the issue is resolved at least! Good luck!!

Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

(in reply to macnmore)
Post #: 9
RE: Users not showing in Global Address List - 8.Sep.2011 9:35:41 AM   
macnmore

de.blackman, I briefly looked into increasing the diagnostic logging, but there was so many options and you didn't specify any particular one to grow, I just skipped over it. And as far as your comment "Actually, you are very confused macnmore! You cannot download the OAB when you are in online mode (not in cached mode)!", I never mentioned downloading the OAB while in Cached mode. This is what I said "If I take my Outlook client out of Cached Mode and download the address book, I do see them...until I put my Outlook client back into Cached Mode."

Post #: 10

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> General >> Users not showing in Global Address List Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter