• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Making Exchange 2010 Highly Available

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> Making Exchange 2010 Highly Available Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Making Exchange 2010 Highly Available - 28.Sep.2011 10:30:03 AM   
danbrown

I'm planning to do an upgrade for my company to Exchange 2010 early next year. I'd like to set something up that will make Exchange highly available to our users even if our primary site fails. The primary site is where our main computer room is located and where I'm planning to do the upgrade. It will all be done virtually in VMWare. I also have rack space rented at an off-site facility with a fast internet connection and VPN back to the main office. How can I use these resources to setup Exchange 2010 so that even if one of the two sites go down email is still accessable to both local Outlook users and remote OWA/Blackberry users? I've been reading up on all of the new features and I have a decent understanding of a basic setup but I'm not sure how to go about making this all work across two sites. I know I can use a DAG to replicate the exchange database to the remote site but I'm not clear on how I can use it to fail over if our main site becomes unavailable. Would I need two MX records with one pointing to each server? Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: Making Exchange 2010 Highly Available - 28.Sep.2011 12:54:23 PM   
mark@mvps.org

Since you have VMware there is nothing to stop you using VMotion internally and SRM across the data centre's. Read up on those and download the VMware white papers from their communities site.

If you want to use DAG that's fine as well. Do some reading on "DAC Mode" as it applies to the DAG. That will help you understand how to automatically fail over and, indeed, prevent automatic failover should you not wish to have a failover for a routine outage.

It's a little early to be looking at DNS and generally CAS related things right now. Do your reading on how best to fail over the databases and their servers first. In a month or so you can then get down to the bones of DNS, CAS & HT.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to danbrown)
Post #: 2
RE: Making Exchange 2010 Highly Available - 29.Sep.2011 11:56:01 AM   
danbrown

Really good point about using vmware, I hadn't considered that option. I'd like to know how exchange would work anyway so I'll check out that info and thanks for the suggestion, much appreciated!

Dan

(in reply to danbrown)
Post #: 3
RE: Making Exchange 2010 Highly Available - 2.Oct.2011 5:23:41 PM   
svoller

We are looking at doing something similar you should read this article from Henrik Walther on teh Articles page:

http://www.msexchange.org/articles_tutorials/exchange-server-2010/high-availability-recovery/designing-site-resilient-exchange-2010-solution-part1.html

I have been using a lot of the ideas from this in our design. We planned to use a number of technologies.

We are using DAGs in Exchange 2010 on Hyper-V to protect Exchange and VMware replication to protect other services such as app servers and DC's etc. We bridged a VLAN between sites for the VMware replication so that the IP's dont change on the servers when they failover.

We are testing with DAGs at the moment to see whether it is better to to stretch the DAG across two AD sites and use DAC or create the single AD site on the Bridged VLAN with all the Exchange servers in the DAG in the same AD site. We have good connectivity so that is not an issue.

(in reply to danbrown)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> Making Exchange 2010 Highly Available Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter