• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Global Address List is empty

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> General >> Global Address List is empty Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Global Address List is empty - 28.Sep.2011 10:46:17 PM   
yu_samson

Hello,

Some of my users' computers aren't showing any entries in the Global Address List (GAL) in Microsoft Outlook 2010. However, when they log into another PC and create an Outlook profile, the GAL is properly populated.

The GAL looks fine on my computer, but when I log into the problem PC, the GAL on that PC is empty. It appears to be unable to pull GAL data from the Exchange server.

I tried the following, but failed to fix the problem:
- Uninstall/Reinstall Microsoft Office 2010
- Repair Microsoft Office 2010
- Apply all updates to Microsoft Office 2010
- Recreate local Windows profile
- Recreate Outlook profile

My only solution so far is reformatting/rebuilding the PC. Does anyone have any idea what the problem might me?

Much appreciated.

Samson

**Update**

I got fustrated and tried switching the "Use Cached Exchange Mode" on and off, checking the GAL each time. Then suddenly, when cached mode was on, the GAL was populated! However, when I closed the address book and opened it again just to make sure I wasn't dreaming, the GAL was blank...again!

I tried deleting the OST file but that didn't work.

Anyone have any ideas?

Samson

< Message edited by yu_samson -- 29.Sep.2011 12:16:21 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Global Address List is empty - 29.Sep.2011 3:13:52 PM   
travis.sheldon

Have you tried to disable downloading of the offline address book in Outlook?

(in reply to yu_samson)
Post #: 2
RE: Global Address List is empty - 7.Oct.2011 1:10:47 PM   
pschnick

We had an issue like this in the past. Some of our users were not able to get to the GAL properly.

Can you try and run an Autodiscover test of the outlook client itself and see if it can reach it. We had some of Outlook clients running a patch that was blocking access to autodiscover and in turn would not allow the users to get the OAB. If that is the case here is an article about it: http://tinyurl.com/4kbb69f

Also with cache mode it sometimes cause an out of sync issue where it thinks it is updated. If you do a send receive and go to download the address book and uncheck the Download changes since last Send/Receive.

(in reply to travis.sheldon)
Post #: 3
RE: Global Address List is empty - 12.Oct.2011 8:18:32 AM   
yu_samson

<<UPDATE>>

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I discovered that "autodiscovery" was not set up for my company's external and internal DNS service. After setting up autodiscovery, I confirmed using the Outlook connectivity test feature that autodiscovery is now working.

Interestingly enough, I open the Global Address List now, and it is non-populating. I go back to the Outlook connectivity test feature, click "Connection Status", and click "Reconnect". Now when I open the address book, the GAL is populated! I close the address book, open it again, and the GAL is empty. Once again, I use the Outlook connectivity test feature again, click "Connection Status", click "Reconnect", and open address book, and presto...the GAL is populated. Close the address book and open again, it's empty! ARGH!

Anyway, autodiscovery is working this time. Currently, I'm not using Cached Exchange mode. I turn on Cached Exchange mode and when I open the address book this time, the GAL is populated. I close the address book and open again, and it stays populated. This is good! However, when I turn off Cached Exchange mode, the GAL goes back to empty mode again. This is weird.

I've been working on this for days now, so I decided to just keep Cached Exchange mode on since it fixed the problem. But the real problem is still a mystery to me.

Sam

< Message edited by yu_samson -- 12.Oct.2011 8:21:00 AM >

(in reply to pschnick)
Post #: 4
RE: Global Address List is empty - 13.Oct.2011 11:11:00 PM   
kathiny

hi I also faced the same problem
To retrieve the GAL, I did the following which you might want to try:

1. Tools> Address Book
2. I tried to search for a name that I knew was in the address book

Strangely, although my GAL is empty, there is a result.

I double click on the result

Click Member of and if you have something like ALL Users, add that to the Contacts. And your GAL should return to normal. I hope that this might be useful for you.

See this article gave me great feeling, it is worth to see.
iPhone problems solved: 6 ideas to accelerate your iOS device

(in reply to yu_samson)
Post #: 5
RE: Global Address List is empty - 13.Dec.2013 4:33:55 PM   
willylam

i had a similar problem. Here is how i fixed mine.

1. Start >> Run >> type in "adsiedit.msc"
2. Go to DC >> OU=User
3. Then look for the user who is experiencing the issue,>> CN=[user name], right click, then select "Properties"
4. In the Attribute Editor tab, find msExchQueryBaseDN attribute
5. Clear its value by clicking Edit button, then click Clear button

Hope this help!

(in reply to yu_samson)
Post #: 6
RE: Global Address List is empty - 29.Jul.2014 4:10:39 PM   
tbailen

The issue might be as simple as changing the radio button setting on the Address Book window to "Name only". When that control is set to "More columns" instead it causes the contents of the list to be blank until a search is performed.

(in reply to yu_samson)
Post #: 7

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> General >> Global Address List is empty Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter