• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Outlook is trying to retrieve data from the Exchange Server

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> General >> Outlook is trying to retrieve data from the Exchange Server Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Outlook is trying to retrieve data from the Exchange Se... - 25.Oct.2011 4:55:09 PM   
jbruyet

Hey all, my users get the following error sometimes when they’re in Outlook:

Outlook is trying to retrieve data from the Exchange Server ServerName

The server they’re trying to connect to is usually one of my domain controllers. Googling this error message tells me it’s not uncommon but none of the fixes I’ve tried have helped. Some of the fixes I’ve tried:
#­    Wireshark scan while error occurs (no errors show up)
#­     MS fixit -- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319206
#­     Tested DNS performance – DNS servers are unstressed
#­     New domain controller in 1.X subnet
#­     New Exchange Server

My network is split into three subnets, 1.X, 2.X and 3.X, by a Fortigate router. The Exchange server is in the 2.X subnet and my users are in the 1.X and 3.X subnets. Originally there were only two domain controllers; one in the 2.X and one in the 3.X subnets. All three domain controllers are also global catalog servers. My General Manager is getting tired of seeing this message and told me to fix it. Does anyone have any ideas, suggestions or recommendations on how to make this problem go away? 

Thanks,

Joe B
Post #: 1
RE: Outlook is trying to retrieve data from the Exchang... - 16.Nov.2011 3:50:23 PM   
01blackerado

There could be a few things wrong but its hard to say without knowing more about your network config. Is the exchange server behind any firewall...ISA, Sonicwall, etc?
Post #: 2
RE: Outlook is trying to retrieve data from the Exchang... - 16.Mar.2012 6:01:40 PM   
jbruyet

Hey guys, sorry for such a long delay.

--> longman111, I've done the CTRL Rt-click thing and my req/fail numbers say my fails are very low. 1299/4 or 1238/1 or 3960/1. My Avg Resp numbers are mostly ones and zeros. Same as when things are working.

--> 01blackerado, no firewalls and the Exchange server and I are on the same subnet.

Any other ideas? My General Manager was having a bad morning and this email issue didn't help.

Thanks,

Joe B

(in reply to 01blackerado)
Post #: 3
RE: Outlook is trying to retrieve data from the Exchang... - 17.Mar.2012 1:17:06 PM   
denwo

the same thing when outlook is working properly.

(in reply to jbruyet)
Post #: 4
RE: Outlook is trying to retrieve data from the Exchang... - 17.Mar.2012 11:54:52 PM   
jbruyet

Hi denwo, and yeah the stats are pretty much the same all the time. I've even tried running NSLOOKUP when Outlook is waiting for the connection and my computer correctly resolved the address to NB name and vice versa. Any one else?

Thanks,

Joe B

(in reply to denwo)
Post #: 5
RE: Outlook is trying to retrieve data from the Exchang... - 18.Mar.2012 9:13:23 AM   
sakes

Is the exchange server behind any firewall.

(in reply to jbruyet)
Post #: 6
RE: Outlook is trying to retrieve data from the Exchang... - 19.Mar.2012 12:16:12 PM   
jbruyet

Hi sakes, and no the server isn't behind any firewalls. I'm plugged in to Switch A, there's a fiber link between switch A and Switch B (about a 150 meter run), and the Exchange server is plugged in to Switch B. I've even tested the fiber link and haven't seen any problems there. Anyone else?

Thanks,

Joe B

(in reply to sakes)
Post #: 7
RE: Outlook is trying to retrieve data from the Exchang... - 19.Mar.2012 3:07:16 PM   
ranmic

I know this is not the real answer you are looking for, but why dont you add a "supression" registry entry for outlook on your Supervisors manchine until you find a solid answer? Something like "supress popups" or something like that. Sorry i don't have the full answer. Google that and maybe that can buy you some time.

(in reply to jbruyet)
Post #: 8
RE: Outlook is trying to retrieve data from the Exchang... - 19.Mar.2012 4:55:31 PM   
jbruyet

Hi ranmic, I guess I could try that but while Outlook is trying to connect to the Domain Controller instead of the Exchange server email gets locked up. I'm not sure blocking a popup would help there. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Joe B

(in reply to ranmic)
Post #: 9
RE: Outlook is trying to retrieve data from the Exchang... - 20.Mar.2012 9:51:20 AM   
ranmic

When we were on Exchange 2000 with local storage we got that issue a lot. Once we migrated to Ex2007 and moved the DB's to our SAN it seemed to clear it up.....but not 100%. I will still hear my Super comment that he see's the Outlook retreiving data popup once or twice a week. But from a DC stand point I can't say I've ever seen it or had anyone tell me abou that or at least not since moveing off of 2000. Is your super not willing to fork over the money to open a case with MS? I really hate to say it, but when we had that issue it was like finding a needle in a haystack......we never did pin it down to one issue....was more than likely the Server, Storage, Network combination in our situation.

(in reply to jbruyet)
Post #: 10
RE: Outlook is trying to retrieve data from the Exchang... - 20.Mar.2012 3:43:55 PM   
jbruyet

ranmic, I manage a smaller network for a non-profit so $$$ are a little scarce. Especially in this economic climate. The GM wants to get it taken care of but the last time I had a case with MS it was over $2000. I don't have that in my budget at this time. I've done performance testing and from what I can see nothing is being stressed.

Thanks,

Joe B

(in reply to ranmic)
Post #: 11
RE: Outlook is trying to retrieve data from the Exchang... - 3.Apr.2012 1:27:00 PM   
jbruyet

I was told by my co-worker that the GM had the problem pop up three times yesterday (while I was gone) and wants it fixed. If no one has any other ideas I'll have to try to scrounge the money and see what Microsoft has to say. Anyone?

Thanks,

Joe B

(in reply to jbruyet)
Post #: 12
RE: Outlook is trying to retrieve data from the Exchang... - 19.Apr.2012 7:47:26 AM   
zbnet

It's an old post, but does this help any?

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2005/05/25/405353.aspx

(in reply to jbruyet)
Post #: 13

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> General >> Outlook is trying to retrieve data from the Exchange Server Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter