• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

MAPI Network Config in DAG ?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> MAPI Network Config in DAG ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
MAPI Network Config in DAG ? - 9.Nov.2011 6:04:16 PM   
svoller

WHen setting the MAPI network in a DAG arrangement should it be set to allow Replication or should only the Replication network be set to allow replication ?

In the 13 part article Henrik posted it shows both allowing replication see Part 7 figure 14.

If both are enabled how does it decide to replicate over the correct network ?
Post #: 1
RE: MAPI Network Config in DAG ? - 10.Nov.2011 12:44:49 PM   
John Weber

I am not Mr. Replication Network, but my understanding is that the replnet is used, and the "allow" replication on the MAPINet is there for fallback position should the REPLnet go down.

John Weber [Lync MVP] http://tsoorad.blogspot.com

(in reply to svoller)
Post #: 2
RE: MAPI Network Config in DAG ? - 16.Nov.2011 11:12:51 AM   
Jesper Bernle

quote:

ORIGINAL: svoller

WHen setting the MAPI network in a DAG arrangement should it be set to allow Replication or should only the Replication network be set to allow replication ?

In the 13 part article Henrik posted it shows both allowing replication see Part 7 figure 14.

If both are enabled how does it decide to replicate over the correct network ?

If you would like to 'force' replication to only go over the Replication Network, then you definately would like to disable replication on the MAPI Network, but as John stated, IF the NIC on the Replication Network goes down, it will start replicating over the MAPI NIC. There is no way of blocking that behaviour and isn't what you'd want anyway since DAGs actually cope quite fine with just 1 NIC.

(in reply to svoller)
Post #: 3
RE: MAPI Network Config in DAG ? - 17.Nov.2011 2:37:58 AM   
svoller

Thanks for that, I will enable both and will hunt around and see if I can find how it preferences the network for replication tasks.

(in reply to Jesper Bernle)
Post #: 4
RE: MAPI Network Config in DAG ? - 17.Nov.2011 3:30:32 AM   
Jesper Bernle

quote:

ORIGINAL: svoller

Thanks for that, I will enable both and will hunt around and see if I can find how it preferences the network for replication tasks.

As I said before, if you have 2 NICs you should disable replication on the MAPI NIC. Otherwise it make no real sense. Well of course 2 NICs (MAPI/Replication) does enable Windows Failover Clustering to distinguish between a network failure and a server failure.

(in reply to svoller)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> MAPI Network Config in DAG ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter