• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

auto reply from a distrubtion group to people sending emails to the group email account.

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> General >> auto reply from a distrubtion group to people sending emails to the group email account. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
auto reply from a distrubtion group to people sending e... - 14.Nov.2011 1:44:25 PM   
arcolino

I have an end user who is part of a distrubtion group. The group email for example is groupmail.gp.com she would like folks who send to that email address get an automatic reply. There is no setting on the d/g account to setup auto reply. I tried setting up another mailbox in the group and setup an auto reply, no luck any good ideas to fix this. Thx in advance.
Post #: 1
RE: auto reply from a distrubtion group to people sendi... - 15.Nov.2011 11:56:06 AM   
ermanishchawla

Try using transport rule 

(in reply to arcolino)
Post #: 2
RE: auto reply from a distrubtion group to people sendi... - 18.Nov.2011 3:57:55 PM   
arcolino

can you give an exmaple, I did not see an option to setup auto reply for the d/g?

(in reply to ermanishchawla)
Post #: 3
RE: auto reply from a distrubtion group to people sendi... - 18.Nov.2011 4:48:40 PM   
Jesper Bernle

I don't think Transport rules is an option here. At least I cannot find any suitable actions: Transport Rule Actions

One option could be to create an extra mailbox (that is hidden from the address list) only for the forwarding option and set up an Outlook server rule that let's Exchange Server reply with message.

So the flow would be:

1. Incoming email to Distibution Group
2. Transport rule adding a recipient (the mailbox)
3. Message gets to the mbx.
4. Server rule for answering with specific message fires.

Another, possible cleaner solution, could be to just transform the Distribution Group to a mailbox, and set up the rule just as mentioned above.

(in reply to arcolino)
Post #: 4
RE: auto reply from a distrubtion group to people sendi... - 18.Nov.2011 5:00:54 PM   
arcolino

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jesper Bernle

I don't think Transport rules is an option here. At least I cannot find any suitable actions: Transport Rule Actions

One option could be to create an extra mailbox (that is hidden from the address list) only for the forwarding option and set up an Outlook server rule that let's Exchange Server reply with message.

So the flow would be:

Another, possible cleaner solution, could be to just transform the Distribution Group to a mailbox, and set up the rule just as mentioned above.

interesting suggestions, transform d/g to mailbox what are the steps to do that?

"One option could be to create an extra mailbox (that is hidden from the address list) only for the forwarding option and set up an Outlook server rule that let's Exchange Server reply with message."

are you talking about setting up a mailbox and add it to the group and set auto reply on that mailbox? if so I tried that already it does not work,

(in reply to Jesper Bernle)
Post #: 5
RE: auto reply from a distrubtion group to people sendi... - 18.Nov.2011 5:02:30 PM   
arcolino

quote:

So the flow would be:

also if you trans d/g to mailbox and you still add and remove users from the (d/g)?

Post #: 6
RE: auto reply from a distrubtion group to people sendi... - 18.Nov.2011 5:04:30 PM   
Jesper Bernle

quote:

are you talking about setting up a mailbox and add it to the group and set auto reply on that mailbox? if so I tried that already it does not work,

No, the mailbox isn't a member of the Distribution Group. The mailbox gets the email via the Transport Rule.

Perhaps I was a bit unclear on that.

(in reply to arcolino)
Post #: 7
RE: auto reply from a distrubtion group to people sendi... - 18.Nov.2011 5:09:08 PM   
Jesper Bernle

quote:

interesting suggestions, transform d/g to mailbox what are the steps to do that?

Just create a mailbox with the same email address and members (of course you'll need to delete the DG first ). Instead of receiving the mails directly to your own inbox, you'd have to look into the inbox of the new shared mailbox.

It's quite possible that this isn't as smooth as your users needs it to be, so that leaves you with the hidden mailbox + transport rule option.

(in reply to arcolino)
Post #: 8
RE: auto reply from a distrubtion group to people sendi... - 18.Nov.2011 5:09:36 PM   
arcolino

quote:

quote:

No, the mailbox isn't a member of the Distribution Group. The mailbox gets the email via the Transport Rule.

Perhaps I was a bit unclear on that.

ok please explain path and steps,
where is the mail going to when it comes in? the mailbox or the d/g?

Post #: 9
RE: auto reply from a distrubtion group to people sendi... - 18.Nov.2011 5:11:58 PM   
Jesper Bernle

quote:

ORIGINAL: arcolino

I already did that

quote:

So the flow would be:

(in reply to arcolino)
Post #: 10
RE: auto reply from a distrubtion group to people sendi... - 19.Nov.2011 8:56:37 AM   
arcolino

quote:

quote:

I already did that

quote:

So the flow would be:

tested it it does not work.

Post #: 11
RE: auto reply from a distrubtion group to people sendi... - 19.Nov.2011 9:01:34 AM   
arcolino

quote:

quote:

Just create a mailbox with the same email address and members (of course you'll need to delete the DG first ). Instead of receiving the mails directly to your own inbox, you'd have to look into the inbox of the new shared mailbox.

It's quite possible that this isn't as smooth as your users needs it to be, so that leaves you with the hidden mailbox + transport rule option.

delete the d/g lol come on, I am in production d/g active all the time, cant delete the d/g

Post #: 12
RE: auto reply from a distrubtion group to people sendi... - 19.Nov.2011 9:09:56 AM   
ermanishchawla

Try this
1)Create a Mailbox with anyname you want
2) Go to Options & Enable out of office Reply
3) Add the Text you want to send to user's (if text is always same) when they send mails to distribution group ( Like "Mail Successfully Delivered to Group)
4) Define an indefinite Period for the same
5) Test the settings by sending an email to newly created mailbox
6) If you are getting auto-reply (out of office reply) Go to next step
7) Create a Transport rule (Assign Highest Priority)
a)When a mail  sent to distribution Group
b) Action Add bcc to previously created mailbox address
c) No-Exceptions
8) Enable the rule
9) Test it by sending mails to distribution Group. You may choose to create test distribution group instead of annoying real users of distribution list
10) If you receive out of office (automatic reply) you are done

(in reply to arcolino)
Post #: 13
RE: auto reply from a distrubtion group to people sendi... - 19.Nov.2011 10:32:27 AM   
arcolino

quote:

ORIGINAL: ermanishchawla

Try this
1)Create a Mailbox with anyname you want
2) Go to Options & Enable out of office Reply
3) Add the Text you want to send to user's (if text is always same) when they send mails to distribution group ( Like "Mail Successfully Delivered to Group)
4) Define an indefinite Period for the same
5) Test the settings by sending an email to newly created mailbox
6) If you are getting auto-reply (out of office reply) Go to next step
7) Create a Transport rule (Assign Highest Priority)
a)When a mail  sent to distribution Group
b) Action Add bcc to previously created mailbox address
c) No-Exceptions
8) Enable the rule
9) Test it by sending mails to distribution Group. You may choose to create test distribution group instead of annoying real users of distribution list
10) If you receive out of office (automatic reply) you are done

tried the creating another mailbox and make it part of d/g group and set ooof message on new mailbox and sent test email to d/g I sent an email from outside did not get a bounce back email although, I set on the d/g on the server that says send ooof message to the originator (I researched and this is for when a member of the group which I do have a test member setup with an ooof message set. it should go back to the sender but it does not which is what I am looking for or close enough but no message is coming back? (what would be ideal is just set a ooof message for the whole group)

Post #: 14
RE: auto reply from a distrubtion group to people sendi... - 19.Nov.2011 11:05:56 AM   
ermanishchawla

quote:

tried the creating another mailbox and make it part of d/g group and set ooof message on new mailbox and sent test email to d/g I sent an email from outside did not get a bounce back email although, I set on the d/g on the server that says send ooof message to the originator (I researched and this is for when a member of the group which I do have a test member setup with an ooof message set. it should go back to the sender but it does not which is what I am looking for or close enough but no message is coming back? (what would be ideal is just set a ooof message for the whole group)

Dont Add new mailbox to the distribution Group 

If you sending mail from outside to distribution group change Setting of Distribution group first because by default outside mails to D/G will not get delivered

Now try again it will work it worked for me. I had same requirement and it worked fine. Dont skip any step & Dont add also..

(in reply to arcolino)
Post #: 15
RE: auto reply from a distrubtion group to people sendi... - 19.Nov.2011 11:13:07 AM   
arcolino

quote:

ORIGINAL: ermanishchawla

quote:

Dont Add new mailbox to the distribution Group 

If you sending mail from outside to distribution group change Setting of Distribution group first because by default outside mails to D/G will not get delivered

Now try again it will work it worked for me. I had same requirement and it worked fine. Dont skip any step & Dont add also..

actually what I did worked, I created another mailbox set an auto response message on it added to the d/g group and made sure on the d/g on the server on the d/g group advanced tab send ooof message to originator (which is for anybody in the group that has an auto response message on to send back to originator) I tested it from outside email and inside email and it worked, I got the reply back automatically. Thank you all for helping out with this unusual request from the end user which is always the best request. thank you all again.

Post #: 16
RE: auto reply from a distrubtion group to people sendi... - 29.Nov.2011 5:09:31 AM   
greenapple

create a rule to send an automatic reply
  • On the Tools menu, click Rules Wizard.
  • In the Apply changes to this folder list, click the Inbox you want to create the rule for.
  • Click New.
  • Click Start from a blank rule.
  • Click Check messages when they arrive, and then click Next.
  • In the Which condition(s) do you want to check list, select the From people or distribution list check box.
  • In the Rule description list, click the underlined phrase, people or distribution list.
  • In the Type name or select from list box, type the name of each person you want to receive the custom reply, and click From after you type each name.
  • Click OK, and then click Next.
  • In the What do you want to do with the message list, select the Reply using a specific template check box.
  • In the Rule description list, click the underlined phrase, a specific template.
  • In the Look in list, click User Templates in File System.
  • Click the template you created above, click Open, and then click Next.
  • Select the check box next to any exception that you want, and then click Next.
  • In the Please specify a name for this rule box, type a name for the rule.
  • Click Finish, and then click OK.

free gre , gmat download , sat exam

(in reply to arcolino)
  • Post #: 17
    [Deleted] - 24.Oct.2017 8:52:59 PM   
    Deleted User
    [Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to arcolino)
      Post #: 18
    [Deleted] - 27.Dec.2017 7:33:08 PM   
    Deleted User
    [Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to arcolino)
      Post #: 19

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
    All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> General >> auto reply from a distrubtion group to people sending emails to the group email account. Page: [1]
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter