• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Is load balancing required in 2 server array?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> Is load balancing required in 2 server array? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is load balancing required in 2 server array? - 17.Nov.2011 2:48:32 PM   
yopc

I want to setup a 2 server Exchange 2010. Both servers will run all roles (CAS/HT/DB). Both servers are in same AD but in different physical buildings on fiber LAN. Both servers will be members of same DAG. Total of 300 mailboxes. I want to minimize complexity and costs so I'd like to avoid a load balancer. Can I configure these 2 servers as a CAS Array without using load balancing and still achieve failover by using a witness server? Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Is load balancing required in 2 server array? - 17.Nov.2011 8:37:18 PM   
ermanishchawla

Fundamental of CAS array lies in the load-balancing.So you cannot configure CAS array with utilizing load balancing. Since your servers are in DAG, you cannot use windows NLB. So in your scenario go for hardware based solution

(in reply to yopc)
Post #: 2
RE: Is load balancing required in 2 server array? - 18.Nov.2011 8:01:02 AM   
yopc

Thanks for the reply. If I don't load balance will one CAS server in the array simply receive all the traffic? Then, if that server goes offline will the second CAS server take all the traffic? My point is that I don't really need 2 CAS servers to manage volume - I just want to have the second server ready for failover and would like to limit the need for additional hardware costs. Thanks.

(in reply to ermanishchawla)
Post #: 3
RE: Is load balancing required in 2 server array? - 18.Nov.2011 4:30:59 PM   
Jesper Bernle

quote:

ORIGINAL: yopc

Thanks for the reply. If I don't load balance will one CAS server in the array simply receive all the traffic? Then, if that server goes offline will the second CAS server take all the traffic? My point is that I don't really need 2 CAS servers to manage volume - I just want to have the second server ready for failover and would like to limit the need for additional hardware costs. Thanks.

If you have two CAS Servers, but not load balanced, you will have to do some manual configuration steps to have it online and replacing the first CAS.

This in my eyes is a bit of strange planning when you have a DAG since by creating the DAG you more or less say that you want your Exchange Mailboxes always accessable, but if you don't do the same with CAS then you could end up with online mailboxes that no one can get to (during the failure and recovery process of the CAS role that is).

If it were me, I'd add an additional Exchange CAS Server and make use of Windows Network Load balancing, NLB. Sure, added cost, but a more complete design making alot more sense. At least to me

(in reply to yopc)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> Is load balancing required in 2 server array? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter