• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Redundant Edge Transport

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> Redundant Edge Transport Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Redundant Edge Transport - 3.Dec.2011 4:02:25 AM   
sahaf525

Hi,,
I'm implementing a new MS Exchange 2010. I placed all roles behind the firewall except the edge transport which is facing the internet and not part of the domain.

to avoid a single point of failure, I want to install 2 Edge Transport servers so I can make it high available. how can I implement this??

I have two servers facing the internet and I want to use them to receive emails.

I have another question, can install a web server on the same machine?? since I have only to servers facing the internet and I want to run my website and Edge role on them.

Thanks,,,
Post #: 1
RE: Redundant Edge Transport - 17.Dec.2011 4:30:26 AM   
shanmarsh3

it will be redundant, if different RBLs, wouldn't that be overkill? if i ... i.e. when you have an edge transport-hub transport setup and you choose to
Body Armour | Safeguard Clothing

(in reply to sahaf525)
Post #: 2
RE: Redundant Edge Transport - 17.Dec.2011 4:33:34 AM   
shanmarsh3

Deploying more than one Edge Transport server provides redundancy and failover capabilities for your inbound message flow.
Body Armour | Safeguard Clothing

(in reply to sahaf525)
Post #: 3
RE: Redundant Edge Transport - 17.Dec.2011 5:12:00 AM   
sahaf525

Thanks,,
how about co-existence with web server and running the web site on the same server?

(in reply to shanmarsh3)
Post #: 4
RE: Redundant Edge Transport - 19.Dec.2011 10:52:37 AM   
ermanishchawla

Hi follow the following checklist

1. You have two MX record configured for your public domain or else two IP's for single MX record
2. Point 1 MX record to edge server01 and 2nd MX to edgeServer02
3. Recommended two Public IP's for Edge01 & Edge02 from two different ISP
4. Assign Same preference to both MX record in your DNS server for DNS level round robin or else if you are interested in primary server & backup server assign high preference to Edge01 & low to Edge02 or vice-versa

5. Subscribe Edge Server to Hub transport Server.
6 Allow only required port Edge01==> Internet & Edge02==>Internet SMTP Port25 & DNS Port 53 is sufficient
7. If you want to optimally utilize your resources, you can run webserver on the server also and use windows NLB or some other hardware based load balancing for high availability of web service

(in reply to sahaf525)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> Redundant Edge Transport Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter