• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

adding mx record

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> adding mx record Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
adding mx record - 12.Dec.2011 12:32:04 AM   
cseraja85

Well we would like to setup our own exchange server at work,so I was going to finish the exchange setup onto our main server at work here . However before I do this, I need to figure out how to configure the DNS, A record, and MX records on ctsindia.com under our domain name srikarn.org.
Now I do not know what to change on ctsindia.com so that it points to our external IP (example 123.45.67.142) so that it can get access to our exchange server? I also need to keep it that when people type www.srikarn.org it goes to that ip address 59.90.242.189 to access to the company hosting our website.
Now our ISP is from bsnl (dataone). We currently have a static ip with them of 59.90.242.189 . Is there anything else I need to do with them for me to get this exchange server live onto the internet?
As far as the server goes, I can set that up without a problem, it is just trying to figure out how to get the darn thing live onto the internet. I am just so confused with what I have to do with ctsindia.com so that when people send email to johndoe@srikarn.org, it goes to our exchange server instead of theirs

I really hope someone can clear up what I am supposed to put onto ctsindia.com..

Post #: 1
Post #: 1
RE: adding mx record - 5.Jan.2012 10:51:13 AM   
uemurad

I feel like you're over-thinking this and confusing some details. Instead of trying to directly answer your questions as asked, let's focus instead on what is necessary to receive Email from the Internet. This may be more detail than you need, or over-simplified for your current understanding.

First you need a registered domain name. For Email, that will be represented by the @company.org in the address. When outside mail systems want to send a message to @company.org, it queries the public DNS for the public IP address to which to send.

The public IP address is returned by the use of two DNS record types. The first is the MX record. This links a fully qualified domain name (FQDN) and a priority value in the range of 0-255. The lowest valued MX record is returned. The second DNS record type is the A record. This links a FQDN to an IP address. At a minimum, you can have a single A record and a single MX record to establish an Email presence.

So, let's say you want to receive mail for srikarn.org. First, that has to be a registered domain name so that it appears in the public DNS. Then you need to come up with a name that the public will see as your mail gateway (as an example, let's call it "mail", but you can call it whatever you wish). Your mail gateway (could be Exchange) needs to be accessible via a public IP address and have TCP port 25 open (for this example let's say that address is 123.123.123.123). Next, you need to contact your DNS hosting service (which could be your ISP) and ask for the following records to be created under srikarn.org:

mail Host(A) 123.123.123.123
MX [10] mail.srikarn.org

With these two DNS entries, and with your mail server accessible via the 123.123.123.123 address, outside systems will be able to send mail to you. This is the simplest configuration, and there are nuances with DNS that can be utilized for advanced functionality, but this is the basic information you need.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to cseraja85)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> adding mx record Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter