1 domain, 2 sites (Exchange 2003 server at both sites), 1 Exchange organisation (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation

mrbobuk -> 1 domain, 2 sites (Exchange 2003 server at both sites), 1 Exchange organisation (4.Jan.2012 2:11:53 AM)

Hi folks

Currently looking to implement the following and would like some expert advice...

2 remote sites connected via ADSL broadband (1/2 mile apart) - will be connected via site to site VPN
1 domain with two DC's

Site A:
Windows 2003 Standard Server SP2 (DC)
Exchange 2003 Standard

Site B:
Windows 2003 Standard Server SP2 (DC)
Exchange 2003 Standard

Basically, I originally wanted both sites to have an Exchange server at each site within the same Exchange organisation to replicate each other between both sites for a) speed - so users are not pulling mail store items from one Exchange server to the other Exchange server at the other site and b) some sort of basic DR.

From what I've read, I would need 3rd party tools to perform this and it is out of the scope of the product, so I may be looking at setting some mailboxes on one server and some mailboxes on another but some replication will occur between both Exchange servers between the sites.

Is the above possible without any 3rd party tools or is it a matter of for example, some mailboxes on one server and some mailboxes on another and it will route between the two?

Also, I've got MX records (each site has 1 static IP) from the old set up (as there were 2 Exchange organisations). How would I set up the new MX - putting to the first Exchange server as a primary mx and then the other as a secondary mx?

Any design tips/concerns/gotchas to worry about?

Thanks all

R

mark@mvps.org -> RE: 1 domain, 2 sites (Exchange 2003 server at both sites), 1 Exchange organisation (4.Jan.2012 10:04:16 AM)

With Exchange 2003? Forget it.

You can't do DR like that in 2003. Plan that for when budget allows with Exchange 2010.

One SMTP domain is perfectly fine though. You can use two MX records so that mail can come in but one MX will be the highest preference so expect all mail to generally arrive at one server and get moved over the internal network.

mrbobuk -> RE: 1 domain, 2 sites (Exchange 2003 server at both sites), 1 Exchange organisation (4.Jan.2012 11:21:04 AM)

Hi Mark

Thanks for the reply.  In summary:

One Exchange 2003 org (with two or three recipient policies to be added back in)
First Exchange 2003 server at Site A will have one MX record and the second Exchange 2003 server at Site B will have the secondary MX record.

Will I need to put all mailboxes on one Exchange server at one site or spread between the two?  I am guessing to spread between the two as per business/site requirements as the DR/replication functionality I require does not exist in Exchange 2003 without 3rd-party tools - can you clarify on the above?

Thanks mate.

Rob
UK

mark@mvps.org -> RE: 1 domain, 2 sites (Exchange 2003 server at both sites), 1 Exchange organisation (4.Jan.2012 11:26:21 AM)

Sure. You can put the mailboxes wherever your business requirement dictates. The servers are part of one organization inside one AD forest. When someone sends an email their mailbox server will do an AD lookup to see where the recipient's mailbox server is and send the message there.

Similarly, if a message comes from the Internet and hits server A but the recipient is on server B, server A will just accept the message and then forward it onto server B.

It's all integrated nicely.

mrbobuk -> RE: 1 domain, 2 sites (Exchange 2003 server at both sites), 1 Exchange organisation (4.Jan.2012 11:43:17 AM)

Hi Mark

Thanks for the timely reply.  That clears that up.  My whole design idea was to have some sort of replication to occur (really for DR and performance gains) so that both sets of mailbox stores replicated at bit level between the two sites.  The idea was to increase performance at the sites as they would use the mailbox stores locally.  I guess this is out of the question so users will really need to use the specific office where their mailbox store resides rather than hotdesking - is this correct?

Not a showstopper but my design idea is out of the window now Mark.

One last question to clear up:

Do I put the primary MX at Site A and the secondary MX at Site B?  It doesn't matter which one gets which MX by the way but if Joe Bloggs is on Site A and Site A goes down (and his mailbox store is on Site A), then he will have no mail - is this correct?

Thanks for help.

mark@mvps.org -> RE: 1 domain, 2 sites (Exchange 2003 server at both sites), 1 Exchange organisation (4.Jan.2012 11:49:18 AM)

Doesn't matter. Put the MX where it makes most sense. There's no best practice for an environment like yours. Whatever works.

Page: [1]