• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Unable to move Public Folders - access denied

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Migration >> Unable to move Public Folders - access denied Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Unable to move Public Folders - access denied - 17.Jan.2012 7:35:05 AM   
garethhowell

Hi

I'm following through a migration checklist for a move from SBS2003 to SBS2011 in a new domain.
The procedure moes the Public Folders by exporting them from the old server/domain into a PST file using outlook, connecting to the new server/domain, opening the PST as a data file and then moving the folders from the PST to All Public Folders.

The export works OK and I can open the PST once I have changed to a new profile connected to the new server as "Administrator".

When I try to Move the Folder (right click, move <folder> and choose "All Public Folders") I get the error "Cannot move folder; access is denied. to check your permissions..." I have previously created a Public Folder of the same name and set its permissions.

After this abortive attempt there is a new folder of the correct name plus a "1" under "All Public Folders" but I have no rights to it and it is empty.

I went into EMC and used the Public Folders tool to check rights and Administrator owns "All Public Folders".

I cannot proceed further without this step as the client makes extensive use of Public Folders

Any tips are appreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: Unable to move Public Folders - access denied - 6.Feb.2012 11:02:41 AM   
kerrbenok

Hi,

I had exactly the same problem: Exported the old public Folders via Outlook from Exchange 2003 successfully and then connected Outlook to the new Exchange 2010, opened the PST and tried to copy / move the contents to the new Public Folders. It aborted with “permission denied”.

The way that worked for me was this:
1. Export Public Folders to a PST file as described above.
2. Close and re-open Outlook and connect to the new Exchange 2010 server.
3. Navigate to “All public folders” in the folder list and make sure you click on this folder to mark it active (this is needed later to specify the target folder for import)
4. Then do NOT open the PST via ->File ->Open… but use ->File ->Import/Export
5. Choose import PST file and navigate to your corresponding source file.
6. In the folder dialog, mark “IPM_SUBTREE”, you will probably want to mark the checkbox to include subfolders and then specify to import elements in the CURRENT folder (make sure you clicked on it in step 3!). “Import items in the same folder in: Public Folders” didn’t work for me and aborted with an error message.

Then the import should finish successfully.

(in reply to garethhowell)
Post #: 2
RE: Unable to move Public Folders - access denied - 6.Feb.2012 11:12:53 AM   
garethhowell

Thanks for the idea.
I eventually found out that the problem lay with sub-folders.

Importing the top level folder was OK and any level 1 sub-folders were also created. Unfortunately, they were created with Read-Only permission and thus I could get no further.

The solution was to create the folder hierarchy manually first, with no messages, and then do the import

Gareth

(in reply to kerrbenok)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Migration >> Unable to move Public Folders - access denied Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter