• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

A stich in time or whatreally makes sense doing PM on Exchange

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> A stich in time or whatreally makes sense doing PM on Exchange Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A stich in time or whatreally makes sense doing PM on E... - 31.Jan.2012 1:03:11 AM   
CebicIT

Hi! We had a customer experience a major failure with their Exchange Server, we couldn't mount the Database. Here is a summary of our initial findings right before we went to Microsoft Support for help.

"email was not working. I started to look at the Application event logs and there were many errors relating to synchronization due to the fact that the server mail stores were down. There were many ESE Errors that indicated corruption. (I will provide a screen shot)

I did a little investigation and tried to restore the priv1 and public databases but they kept returning a corrupt error. I quit trying to restore and started to walk through knowledge base articles. I was able to finally get the command eseuHMl /mh to work and I did get that the log files were shut down dirty and there was 1 log file missing that caused the whole Exchange Store to not mount. We quit for the evening and made a plan for me to return Friday morning and call Microsoft Support"

My question is do any of you have preventivee maintenance routine that can help us avoid this type of issue in the future. It turns out there were some errors in the erroe log predating the failure, so
I assume had we checked those error logs as part of our routine that may have help? What do you guys do? We had been patching this server and running routine Disk Utility and occasionally the Best Analyzer. Anything else you think we should add?
Post #: 1
RE: A stich in time or whatreally makes sense doing PM ... - 16.Mar.2012 4:05:24 PM   
uemurad

The first step is to get the system to run without issues. Without that baseline, everything else is just guessing and wondering.

Making sure the Maintenance Routine runs / check the amount of whitespace occasionally
Making sure backups are performed regularly (and successfully)
Making sure log files are being committed/removed

Running the BPA, especially after anything is installed (updates, security patches, new software)

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to CebicIT)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> A stich in time or whatreally makes sense doing PM on Exchange Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter