• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Send Connector to smarthost suddenly started failing

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> Send Connector to smarthost suddenly started failing Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Send Connector to smarthost suddenly started failing - 13.Feb.2012 5:58:02 PM   
arif.dhalla

Hello:

We are running Exchange 2007 SP1, with the Hub Transport role installed.  Single Exchange Server environment.  We have a send connector setup which connects to our smarthost, which is a Barracuda Spam and Virus Firewall 400.  Everything was working fine until a month ago, when suddenly the send connector stops working, and outbound email (to the internet) stops working completely.  Internal email continues to flow normally, without issue.  The only way to restart the outbound email, is to change the send connector settings to stop sending through the smarthost, and allow Exchange to send the emails out directly over port 25, then once mail starts a flowing, re-route it through the smarthost again.   The only thing I noticed around the times this happens (about once a week), is that around the same time, I have users sending a large amount of email (eg: promotional emails/ invoices) in addition to normal email flow, and it almost appears that a bottle-neck is occurring at the send connector.

1) I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and has a suggestion/ solution.

2) What could be causing this behavior at the send connector, and is there any reason it started so suddenly.

3) Is it even possible for the send connector to bottleneck as I have described, or am I missing another potential cause?  I am relatively new at this.

Thanks

Arif
Post #: 1
RE: Send Connector to smarthost suddenly started failing - 13.Feb.2012 8:14:44 PM   
RustyShackleford

We use Ironmail and Ironmail has built-in throttling in case volume exceeds a specific threshold. In our case the threshold is 2,000 messages in the main processing queue. Barracuda may have the same functionality. When this happens I usually allow the message to bleed out on their own. However, there might be specific services you can restart on the Barracuda the resolve your problem immediately.

Enable verbose logging on the send connector. I would expect you to see connection refused errors.

(in reply to arif.dhalla)
Post #: 2
RE: Send Connector to smarthost suddenly started failing - 14.Feb.2012 12:34:14 PM   
arif.dhalla

Thanks Rusty.

I have enabled verbose logging as you suggested, and will post the results here as soon as possible.

Thanks for the fast response.

Arif

(in reply to RustyShackleford)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> Send Connector to smarthost suddenly started failing Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter