• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Removing orphaned Exchange 2007

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Installation >> Removing orphaned Exchange 2007 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Removing orphaned Exchange 2007 - 28.Feb.2012 2:20:39 PM   
KW775

Hi All,

I appreciate this subject has been covered a number of times but I can't find answers for my particular situation, which is...

We've had to separate a site from an area wide service. This needed to be done quickly and we had to basically cut the link to the centralised services and seize FSMO roles etc to the "orphaned" site.

Up to the separation the site relied on centralised exchange services (no exchange installed at the site), and as part of the separation they have moved on to the MS Cloud email service.

We are now in the situation where AD at the site contains all the old exchange references and it seems to be causing autodiscover to fail. Basically autodiscover picks up outlook.com correctly but then picks up something (we presume from AD) and ponts autodiscover to the local DC and the autodiscover process fails.

My questions are therefore:
1. how can we get autodiscover to stop picking up the local DC
2. How can we (do we need to) remove exchange from AD
- if we remove exchange from AD would we have to use the unsupported ADSIEdit method or can we run the exchange set up on a DC (bearing i mind it doesn't have exchange installed) and somehow remove the entries from AD that way?

Look forward to your help!
Post #: 1
RE: Removing orphaned Exchange 2007 - 29.Feb.2012 3:35:02 AM   
KW775

After a bit of further checking it appears autodiscover to outlook.com works to an extent.

Of the three part process the "Establish Network Connection" and "Search for Server Settings" parts complete successfully, however when it comes to "log on to server" it prompts for credentials for the local domain controller rather than outlook.com.

If you enter the outlook.com credentials it fails and if you enter the local domain credentials it returns "The name cannot be matched to a name in the address list".

I've had a look at the MS options for removing exchange cleanly, however there were about 15 exchange servers performing different roles in the previous set up so it would be impractical to try to recover all of them to remove the again.

I suspect I'm going to be left with removing things through ADSIEdit but wondered if there was a better / other way to get this working?

Any help would be much appreciated!

(in reply to KW775)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Installation >> Removing orphaned Exchange 2007 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter