Delivery is delayed to these recipients or groups error message. (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> General

a0adio0 -> Delivery is delayed to these recipients or groups error message. (28.Jun.2012 9:17:32 AM)

I have several users who are saying they get this message back after several hours of trying to send an email to a couple different users.

Delivery is delayed to these recipients or groups:

So far it has only spanned two different domains, and I'm guessing the problem is on their end. Is there anything I can do to be sure it's not something going on with our Exchange server? Thanks in advance.

DaDougInc -> RE: Delivery is delayed to these recipients or groups error message. (2.Jul.2012 1:48:19 PM)

Is your Exchange server configured to send directly to the Internet (i.e. DNS) or are you forwarding all email to a centralized smarthost? Look at your Internet Send Connector to be sure.

Every so often, check your SMTP queues (get-queue) and then the messages within the queues (get-Queue | Get-message). If you have a message sitting in your queue that is waiting to be delivered, then the next hop outside of your Exchange server (DNS/smarthost/firewall/etc) is not accepting the message for delivery.

To troubleshoot those pending messages, try to telnet on port 25 to the next hop and see if you can manually deliver a message. If the remote domain is not accepting the message, then the problem lies with them. If you can easily deliver the message, then your server may be having some issues.

Some issues may include:
1. Delays in your Exchange-aware antivirus scanning preventing outbound delivery
2. File-level antivirus exclusions not properly set on Exchange server
3. Invalid DNS server settings on your Exchange server
4. Exchange server is too busy to work (check event logs)
5. Poor network communication between Exchange and next hop
etc etc

Hope this helps!
Good Luck!
D

Page: [1]