• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Port 25 tenet not responding

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Management >> Port 25 tenet not responding Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Port 25 tenet not responding - 22.Jul.2012 8:25:33 PM   
meburke

Echange 2010 working on SBS:

The company has a public IP address for this server. The company is currently having email hosted at the webhosting company, but wants to manage its own email. Exchange is set up and the firewall seems to be opened on all the relevant ports. The DNS info has NOT been changed because we want to test the mail configuration beforehand, with as little loss of productivity as possible. Remote desktop connection works fine.

From oustside, over the internet, telnet works fine to (IPAddress) port 23, but to port 25 it closes the connection. Trying to connect to https://IPAddress/owa fails.

Of course Outlook doesn't recognize the format for testme@[IP.ad.dre.ss] but from my webmail account it seems to send fine. My Linux machine can send mail in this format, and it seems to work fine. However, no mail shows up in the testme mailbox. I do not get any mail undeliverable messages, and it's been two days. Sending and receiving mail, even in the direct IP address format seems to work from the server, but not on other systems on the LAN. Outlook fails to connect even to user@domain.local.

I am tring to test the mail from the LAN and over the WAN. I expect mail in the format user@[IP.ad.dre.ss] (example:= testme@[74.4.xxx.xxx]) to send mail directly to the MTA. I think port 25 should answer on telnet. I think https://74.7.xxx.xxx/owa should bring up the OWA. I expect a node on the LAN to use Outlook and be able to connect to Exchange, even if it is domain.local at this time.

Can anyone direct me to any clear troubleshooting guides for this?

Thank you,

Mike Burke
Post #: 1
RE: Port 25 tenet not responding - 29.Jul.2012 9:12:11 PM   
meburke

A lot has happened since I posted.

We opened up a Microsoft ticket. The first tech said, "Oh, your profile is all wrong!" and proceeded to set up a different profile. The assumption is that the network interface was configured in such a way that the LAN could access the server, but not the WAN. We asked another question and he said, "Oh, this is a Small Business Server. You need to talk to the SBS group."

So we get an SBS tech who said, "Oh, your profile is all wrong..." It turns out that nobody ran the wizard to connect to the internet, and for some reason, even if everything looks good, it won't work if you don't run the wizard. (This is one of the problems with having too many people trying to administer a system; I didn't know that the wizard wasn't run, nor did I know it was necessary.)

So, OK, telnet works fine, the test account using Outlook 2010 works fine, and OWA works fine.

Only now, the users using Outlook 2007 can't get connected to the Exchange server. We are using Exchange Cache Mode during setup, but with an exchange server account we get the error that the data file cannot be opened. Removing the current accounts and the .pst files gives us the error that the host cannot be resolved. I am using the same parameters that I was using on the test system and test account.

Any hints?

Now MS says that they are not offering SBS in 2012...

This is going to come back to bite me, isn't it?

Mike

(in reply to meburke)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Management >> Port 25 tenet not responding Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter